Yard sale find

L

laurah214

We are looking to buy some case iron, but can not pay for the new stuff right now. We have lots of yard sales around us at the beginning of the month and I remember seeing some different pots at different ones.

I have no problem cleaning a rusty pot. Well once I learn the best way to do it. ;)

My question is. How do you know when a pot that has rust is to bad to try to clean it?

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
It depends on your comfort level. I've never seen any cast iron cookware that has been rusted through. You want to check to see if there are any big ruts or dips, but I typically do not find anything like that.

Yard sales have been good to me, but it is rare here. I try and get good brands like Griswold & Wagner. There are some people selling their Lodge too. Head out early, and good luck.

S

soulglazed

Have you ever tried looking on eBay? I only ask because sometimes things like that are difficult to find at yard sales, especially in a good/great condition. Maybe it's just me, personally I only buy something used if it's in very good all around shape but yeah, I'd maybe give eBay or Craigslist a browse sometime because of the whole picture viewing aspect.

F

FilmFan

It depends on your comfort level. I've never seen any cast iron cookware that has been rusted through. You want to check to see if there are any big ruts or dips, but I typically do not find anything like that.

Yard sales have been good to me, but it is rare here. I try and get good brands like Griswold & Wagner. There are some people selling their Lodge too. Head out early, and good luck.

Yeah, I have never seen any cast iron pans or anything rusted completely through. Jason is right to mention to make sure there's no "physical" damage to it, such as dips, cracks, or anything that keeps it from being a flat surface on the pan.

Cast iron is luckily a very, very sturdy cooking implement and it takes some real abuse. Some people in another thread here talk about just throwing it into a fire, cleaning it wish ashes, etc. It can take some abuse. Just look for structural defects when you buy used, because other than that, you're good to go and can clean and season any cast iron pan!

Speaking of cleaning, you're right laurah214, there are some great tips on cleaning cast iron here, as well as for rust removal! Hopefully you find some nice pieces! I got a nice cast iron skillet at a yard sale once for $5, and I love it.

S

steph84

I love a good yard sale find! The last really amazing find I got was a smoker from this old couple. They never used it and sold it to me for $30. It is from the 80s and looks so retro. It's a very tacky and bright orange and I just love it.

J

JohnB

My father used to clean old cast iron frying pans, even the rusty ones, by placing them in a campfire. By the time he got through with them, there was nothing left on them. I don't know about the ones rusted through, either, but he rescued some dire looking pans.

T

tommymac

I actually picked up a great cast-iron pan for cheap at a yard sale. It needed a little tlc and some elbow grease, but I cleaned it right up and it makes the most awesome fried chicken ever.

N

nene5

I haven't been so lucky to snag such great finds. I have found great buys for the home such a tables and such. If you manage to find good cookwear, count yourself lucky.

H

Hilt

I must have been very lucky then, we managed to snag one single pot years ago which we still have. Zero rust and no issues with it, I think the owner did not know what they had when they sold it.

L

laurah214

Thank you Jason. We do love to go to yard sales. The ones we find here are much better then the ones we found when we lived in FL. It also does not seem that people around here no what they really have in many different things. So that can always work in our favor.

Hi Soulglazed, We have checked on Craigslist but nothing so far. As for Ebay, I did look on there, but the shipping would cost more then going down the the local Walmarts and buying a new one. Thank you for the thought!

Thank you so much Flimfan for replying back to me. I do also hope to find some great items.

Hi Steph84, I would love to see a photo of that. Sounds so cool!

Hi JohnB, does that mean to say that he was able to burn everything off?

Hi Tommymac, may I ask what you cleaned it with, or how?

Hi Nene5, I do hope I come across something lol. Makes we want to go our yard selling every weekend instead of just around the first on the month.

Hi Hilt, I have seem a lot of things like that around here. Like I said before I just do not think people around here know what they have.

B

beckyv1265

I have never found a bad cast iron anything. they really are not that hard to clean or season. Cast iron rarely breaks ,cracks or warps. Once you clean them up and season them they are just like new. I have a huge collection of them . We like to camp and cook over a fire.

L

laurah214

Thank you Beckyv1265 I hope to find some good pieces. The major yard sales around here are the first of the month and a bit after the 15th so I am hoping to go "shopping" here in a few days.

P

Pocs

Cast iron lasts forever. Another tip, check the thrift stores, you know Salvation Army or Goodwill. I found a Griswold at the Sal Val for only 2.00 a few months back. Also some of the vendors at the farmers market carry cooking equipment. You might it lucky there too.

L

Livvi

I had a beautiful iron cookware set that I was given as a wedding present. Never used, they were stored in my mother's garage until we moved into our first home some 18 months later. When I opened the boxes, the cookware was thick in rust, I swear it was so bad it actually came away in lumps and even smelt. I have NO idea why brand new cookware would rust as bad as it did, I can only assume they were extremely low quality.

P

Pocs

I had a beautiful iron cookware set that I was given as a wedding present. Never used, they were stored in my mother's garage until we moved into our first home some 18 months later. When I opened the boxes, the cookware was thick in rust, I swear it was so bad it actually came away in lumps and even smelt. I have NO idea why brand new cookware would rust as bad as it did, I can only assume they were extremely low quality.

Were this cast iron or iron coated? There is a difference. That is so bizarre. It does rust, but usually just a quick scrub or wipe and that takes care of it. I have never seen cast iron rust to that point. The smell, I don't know where that could have come from. Did the box some how get wet?

We have a old cast iron kettle in the front yard, we use for a flower pot and a Halloween prop, it's been there for over 12 years.. We do nothing to it and it's out in the elements year round. Rust can nit be found anywhere on it. My hubby wants to spruce it up with maybe a scrubbing or a light spray of wrinkle paint because it's a bit faded. I told him no way, faded yes, but other than that it's perfect.

B

BobbyBoberry

I have cast iron pieces that were handed down from my parents and grandparents. When I divorced (remarried now), my grandmother gave me a small skillet and I still use it. She always told me to never wash it, just wipe it out. I can't wrap my head around that but I do wash it quickly in soap that doesn't have the super grease removing properties and then dry it quickly. It's still a wonderful old thing and it's still as good as new.

T

TheMaster

I personally try not to buy anything used that has to deal with food. Because you have no idea how it has been treated. But if I was to buy anything used I would make sure it was rust free. Like mentioned above it's all really a comfort level.

M

Mama2three

I personally try not to buy anything used that has to deal with food. Because you have no idea how it has been treated. But if I was to buy anything used I would make sure it was rust free. Like mentioned above it's all really a comfort level.

I feel the same, especially if it has rusted because you never know if the previous owners used chemical cleaners to try to get rid of the rust already.