whiskey sauce

H

Hilt

Does anyone here have a favorite whiskey sauce they would like to share? It is something we have dabbled in a little but it seems we are not good about picking our drinks (for our foods). Now when it comes to drinks we have that part covered.

H

Hilt

I have heard of that one before, it seems more people have a problem with this than some would think. I am just not sure where to really begin. Bourbon is one that I read is pretty good to start with, but which one?

S

sheepdad

I read that the higher the corn ratio in the whiskey the better for sauces. a Boubon with around a 75% corn ratio will give you more of the sweet flavor than the law required 51% when cooked down. I would imagine that the more pricey ones are better. I haven't experimented with different brands so I don't know how the flavor is affected with lower priced bourbons vs higher priced ones.

Here's one that I got off of Amazing Ribs.com
I have tried this one this summer and really liked it. I did not use the liquid smoke because I use smoke on my meat and didn't want a heavy smoke flavor in the meal. I also have not tried this sauce on beef, only pork so far.

Recipe

Makes. About 2 cups of sauce. Click here to calculate how much you need and for tips on saucing strategies.
Preparation time. 45 minutes.
Ingredients
2 cups Jack Daniel's Black Label or Bourbon
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons malt vinegar
4 tablespoons dark molasseshttp://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/my_ingredients/index.html#molasses1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
Method
1) Taste the whiskey to make sure it is up to your standards. Pour 1 cup of whiskey into a saucepan and set aside the remaining whiskey. Bring the saucepan to a boil and reduce the liquid to about 2 tablespoons. Don't let the alcohol flame. Taste the unused whiskey to make sure it hasn't gone bad.
2) Add 1/2 cup of the whiskey and the other ingredients. Simmer over a low heat for 30 minutes and reduce it by about 1/3. Use it immediately or bottle it and keep it in the refrigerator for a month or more. Drink the remaining whiskey.