Weber LP question

Jdlevy

Hey guys— new to the forum. Had a quick question re: a Weber genesis 2 (‘07-‘10) that was recently passed down to me. I notice a bit of a gas smell when using the grill, especially on high heat, down near where the hose meets the manifold. I have the vents on each burner mostly open. Is it normal to smell gas, or is it likely I have a leak somewhere? I bought a replacement hose, but am having trouble disconnecting the original hose — so before I really go at it with a wrench (and risk cracking the piece that connects to the manifold), wanted to check in to see if I’m trying to fix something that’s a non-issue.

thanks!

tiewunon

• The smell of gas is NOT normal. Before you start wrenching and yes it is a PITA get yourself a squirt bottle and put some soap in it. Do not shake the mixture.
  • Start spraying around the connections until you find the leak where it bubbles.
  • Not being a wise guy but do you have a side burner? If so was that supply valve shut off. I ask this because my wife did this one time until I discovered the problem.

Jdlevy

• The smell of gas is NOT normal. Before you start wrenching and yes it is a PITA get yourself a squirt bottle and put some soap in it. Do not shake the mixture.
  • Start spraying around the connections until you find the leak where it bubbles.
  • Not being a wise guy but do you have a side burner? If so was that supply valve shut off. I ask this because my wife did this one time until I discovered the problem.

good advice, thanks. I do smell the gas when I’m just using the side burner (and not main burners), but when the main burners are on and the side burner is off I also smell it a bit. I’ll try out the soap/water method and see if I can pinpoint the leak. Thanks!

Jdlevy

Great recommendation! The leak was actually come from the bolt holding the first burner tube. Seemed like an easy fix by just tightening it, but then over tightening actually made it leak again. Should I just replace the bolt?