jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
  • 1 cup wasabi powder
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
In mixing bol, place the wasabi powder. Add the water and mix until it forms a smooth paste.
add in the lemon juice and salt and mix
add the mayonnaise, and stir until all ingredients are combined

R

rollybooz

Hey jason! So what do you use the wasabi mayo for? In my country, deep fried shrimps served with a wasabi mayo dipping is very popular! The shrimps are de-shelled and de-veined so that when they are coated in a batter and deep fried, they all curl up into balls, making them easy and delicious to eat with the dip! Mixing a little lime juice and bits of lime or lemon zest into mayonnaise also creates a tangy dip that is a great alternative to the wasabi mayo!

M

Mrs. Pirz

Curious about the substitution here - can you use wasabi paste in this? If so what is the conversion?

I

iamwhoiam

Curious about the substitution here - can you use wasabi paste in this? If so what is the conversion?

I am not sure of actual conversion but I would like to share on how I do such conversions. I reverse the process and pretty much add the wasabi paste last so that I can estimate how things are. I hope this could help you out.
Great share!would be trying this out later. I wonder if this will provide a good contrast and compliment to my Dynamite recipe!

C

Cowboy

Yum, I love wasabi and I love mayonnaise, so this sounds like a great condiment for me! I think this would go great with shrimp (lots of different seafood, actually). I'd love to try this as a spread for a fried fish sandwich.

J

j_pin

Wasabi is a little too strong for me normally, but this sounds like the mayo would probably mellow it out. I'll have to try this next time I make some shrimp or fish! Thanks for the recipe.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
Hey jason! So what do you use the wasabi mayo for? In my country, deep fried shrimps served with a wasabi mayo dipping is very popular! The shrimps are de-shelled and de-veined so that when they are coated in a batter and deep fried, they all curl up into balls, making them easy and delicious to eat with the dip! Mixing a little lime juice and bits of lime or lemon zest into mayonnaise also creates a tangy dip that is a great alternative to the wasabi mayo!

I like spicy, so for me, I will add it to things like burgers or hot dogs.

I've thought about using it for dipping shrimp and other seafood in though.

J

Jessi

To convert the powder into a paste, mix 2 parts wasabi powder with 3 parts water.

So if you're going the opposite direction, I would recommend starting with maybe a third of the amount and work up to half. It's mostly going to be by taste because wasabi pastes vary in how strong they are so you don't want to end up making it far too hot than what you want.

M

Mrs. Pirz

Thanks!!! I can see the logic in working backwards here. I will take your conversion into consideration.

R

Rphoenix

I have a question. I'm assuming you use the normal, Western mayo (as I call it) for this, but do you have any idea how it would taste like if you also use Japanese mayo? I'm wondering, but I'm too afraid to actually try it yet.

FYI, Japanese mayo is a bit on the sweeter side as compared to normal mayo.

J

Jessi

Well like you said, Japanese mayo is often a little bit sweeter because they tend to use apple cider vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar. So your end product might be a tiny bit sweeter, but realistically, I'm not sure how much you'd even be able to tell because the heat is going to be the main flavor coming through.

R

Rphoenix

Well like you said, Japanese mayo is often a little bit sweeter because they tend to use apple cider vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar. So your end product might be a tiny bit sweeter, but realistically, I'm not sure how much you'd even be able to tell because the heat is going to be the main flavor coming through.
From the looks of it, it seems Japanese mayo might actually work better since it might, just might, balance out the flavors a little bit more than normal mayo would.

J

Jenine

Wasabi mayo. It sounds good. I've had wasabi before and it's very spicy especially if you eat too much of it.

D

dconklin

I have never had Wasabi, tho I have heard of it before. Is this quite spicy or about as spicy as typical hot sauce (I mean without the mayo added?) It sounds like a good idea for me to mix some and have for myself, I am the only one who likes spicy and this way I can have my own mayo with a bit of a kick :)

I don't make much spicy because I have to make separate dishes if I do and tabasco sauce is not my favorite to add to my food. I have found a couple good hot sauces before at the kitchen store, I just do not like the actual flavor of tabasco or redhot.

I

iArvee

Might pass on this. Wasabi is a bit too spicy for me. Can't handle even just a teeny bit of it.