Want to buy my first grill, need help deciding

fuzzy_orange

Hello. grilling newbie here.
I've never owned a grill before and I'd like to get one soon.
There's a gas line in our patio so I'll be aiming for a natural gas grill, but I am having some trouble deciding on the model.
I've narrowed it down to the Weber Genesis series as it seems to have a good reputation.
Currently, I am looking at the E-315 ($849) and the S-335 ($1049).
The only differences in the actual grills are the grates (cast iron vs stainless steel). The S-335 also has a side burner and a sear station.
Now since I am a newbie, I don't know if this price difference is worth it because I am not so sure I'll be using the side burner.
I don't even know how to use the sear station properly. But I do have a cast iron skillet and it's a pain to clean after making steaks or burgers.
This makes me wary of the E-315 cooking grids. Or is it not that bad? Would I be buying too much grill with the S-335?
Any other advice for a newbie would be helpful. Thanks.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
The only time I have used the side burner on my Weber was to make coffee when the power went out. A friend used to use his when his stove went out for your normal stove top things like mac & cheese, pasta, etc...

The grate thing is a personal choice. I like cast iron.

fuzzy_orange

The side burner is nice but not a determining factor. I could take it or leave it.

Why do you like the cast iron? Is it difficult to maintain? More so than SS? If I opted for the cast iron now, I’m assuming I can replace them with SS grates in the future if I wanted.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I think because it is what I grew up with. I am just used to cast iron. I don't find it difficult to maintain. You should be able to find SS grates if you want to switch.

Webers are good grills, if taken care of it should last a while.

SilentCobra

Hi there... I know it has been a few weeks since you posted but here is the grill I just bought at amazon.. If you are still looking to buy It a great grill

I also put together a short review of the grill after I got it if you want to have a look

jalapeno_jane

Hello. grilling newbie here.
I've never owned a grill before and I'd like to get one soon.
There's a gas line in our patio so I'll be aiming for a natural gas grill, but I am having some trouble deciding on the model.
I've narrowed it down to the Weber Genesis series as it seems to have a good reputation.
Currently, I am looking at the E-315 ($849) and the S-335 ($1049).
The only differences in the actual grills are the grates (cast iron vs stainless steel). The S-335 also has a side burner and a sear station.
Now since I am a newbie, I don't know if this price difference is worth it because I am not so sure I'll be using the side burner.
I don't even know how to use the sear station properly. But I do have a cast iron skillet and it's a pain to clean after making steaks or burgers.
This makes me wary of the E-315 cooking grids. Or is it not that bad? Would I be buying too much grill with the S-335?
Any other advice for a newbie would be helpful. Thanks.

I have a 5 year old Weber Genesis, I rarely maintain it, haven't had to replace anything and it looks great. So it's probably the best solution, especially since you're a beginner!
If I were you, I would get a Genesis II 315. 3 burners, no side burner, grill cabinet. Avoid stainless steel grates, as they don't retain heat well enough for grill marks. I have cooked on tons of cheap gassers at relatives before. This thing really cooks nice.