Thinking of finally getting a Weber. Is this a good one?

jm88

For the last 10 years, I have had a couple of Char Broil grills. The first one lasted about 5 years before some rust set in and was falling apart. I have an infrared one now with the trough below the grates and it was nice at first but I keep having to replace that trough and for some reason I can never get those grates fully clean. I have been on the fence about getting another gas grill or a pellet smoker, but most of the time I just quickly cook burgers, steaks chicken, or salmon. I do occasionally make ribs or a whole chicken and would love to have a smoker for that and maybe start doing more meats, but I do the burgers and steaks the most so I don't know how well a smoker only would be for that. Maybe I would need two grills eventually.
Anyways, I was thinking maybe this summer to get a Weber Genesis with the 3 burners plus the sear station with the enclosed box just because I think it looks nicer to store tools and stuff under it than the open and I thought the sear burner might be nice. I wouldn't want the stainless because I think they are harder to keep looking nice so the black ones I believe are around $900 (I want the natural gas). Anyways, I just was looking around and noticed one store has what I believe is the Genesis II E-310 (It says Weber Genesis II 66010001) with the open bottom, 3 burners only, porcelain coated iron grates, folding side table and it says the regular price is $699 but it is selling for $400 for some reason. They also list one that says E-310 (Model 6600000) which is also $400 and says the regular prices is $799 but I can't tell the difference. These are on the website so maybe I will stop by the store. I wasn't really wanting to get one now, and maybe that was not the exact one I was thinking of for later, but for more than half the price, I think I can live without the closed cabinet and the sear burner (and the side burner which I never use anyways). Are the porcelain coated iron grates better than stainless? Are they easy to clean and last long? What do you guys think? Is this a good idea?

tiewunon

• Concerning Weber Genesis I would certainly give them a huge thumbs up. I have a 1997 Weber Genesis 3000 still hanging around with a lot of “grill” miles on her and she looks almost as good as the day I brought her home.
  • About the grates it’s too each his own. I have the porcelain enamel grates on the Genesis and like them. I replaced them finally around 2015/16.
  • I have multiple grills hanging around now and two of them have cast iron grates. Bit more maintenance with CI grates and they are susceptible to rust if you don’t season them properly and keep that process up. Yes they do make some nifty sear marks.
In my opinion the standard Weber grates are good enough. If you are really into the grill marks I would go a different direction and get yourself a set of “Grill Grates” for the Genesis.
My Genesis 3000 has the side burner I think I might have used it twice I could have done without that option but when I bought the grill the store was offering a sweet deal on this grill vs the Platinum series at the time.

jm88

I just found out that it is either the S-310 (stainless) or E-310 (the black one). They are both $400. What do you think is the better option?

tiewunon

JM,
Both are a heck of a deal. The “S” has a bit more bells and whistles enclosed cart etc.
However... The “S” sear station will cut into your overall grilling grate space. The sear station on Weber’s I do not believe are stand alone so that might be something to consider.
Full cart with doors on the “S” is nice but kind of like a side burner not necessary. My 3000 has no doors and I put stuff on that shelf. My AOG grill has the cabinet and I have 1 grill grate brush hanging in their.
You will not go wrong with either grill. Most important thing is DO NOT futz around and miss the sale.

jm88

I went to the store and it is actually only the S-310 that they had. So a $800 grill on sale for $400 for some reason. I thought these never went on sale! Anyways, I couldn't pass that up. It is open cart, no sear burner, no side burner. I do like the look of the stainless but I have had cheaper stainless ones in the past and never really cleaned the top well so they didn't look too great. Hopefully it won't be too hard to keep this one looking nice. I do always keep it covered and under a canopy. This has the stainless grates as well which I have never used but it sounds like they are easy to clean. Thanks for the input.

tiewunon

JM,
You scored. My AOG is stainless and it is work to keep clean.
The AOG has seen no ill effects on cleaning with.
  • Dawn Power Disolver if you can find it
  • Bar Keepers Friend lightly scrub and wipe off with soaked rag with water. Have not had any scratching. Use this for really deep cleaning if I have been lazy for a few cooks.
  • Too make it shine like new I use Shelia Shine and wipe with the grain

jm88

Thank you for the tips. I will be sure to keep on top of cleaning the exterior. As far as the grates, I have never used stainless steel grates before. I have been dealing with the porcelain coated ones from Char Broil the last several years and they seemed like they should be easy to clean because they were smooth and I sprayed them before cooking, but I could never get them clean. These stainless ones seem like at least you can scrape them hard without damaging them. I always would clean my grill right after cooking but reading some things here lately, it sounds like it is better to leave them dirty until you are ready to grill again and then clean them. How do you do it? What do you use? Are wire brushes safe anymore? I happen to know someone who was hospitalized for ingesting a piece of wire brush.

jm88

So after you grill, you leave it a mess until next time, then preheat it and hit it with a brush? Is the rest of it pretty easy to maintain too? Seems like the grease just drips down and collects in the pan. Do the flavorizer bars need to be cleaned every so often? Seems like the grease drippings could cake on there and cause flareups. Does the whole grill box (under the burners) need to be cleaned on occasion?

tiewunon

JM,
-Pretty much take the food off. Turn burners to high. Take the food into house. At this point I either get blamed for something or get an a$$ chewing. Many times both. I then go back out side hit the grill grates to get major chunkiest off then shut down. Next cook I pre heat about 10 mins then hit the grates with the brush again by this time they look pretty darn good. Prior to plopping the guest of honor on the grates I spray the grates with a high temp oil like Weber grilling spray (though that’s not a requirement.
-On my old Genesis 3000 their is a drip tray that I line with a disposable aluminum pan that fits. Yes the oil drains straight thru to that drip pan.
-That drip pan on my Genesis is hung below a slide out drip tray which is right below the burners that does require routine maintenance. About every 10 cooks or so I use a plastic paint scraper to clean that drip tray out. I let that stuff just fall into that disposable drip pan. Prior to doing this if you are worried about the build up on the flavorizer bars knock those chunkies off with that plastic paintscaper and they will fall into the drip tray or the drip pan.
-I think one of the most important things to remember about your grill is to let it cool down with the lid OPEN/UP. No sense in trapping in any moisture to expedite rust.
-Lastly you could start a fight amongst grillers to Cover it or leave it Uncovered. Myself I am a cover it guy with a vented cover.

jm88

Thank you so much. But on your last note, why would people not want to cover it? Mine is under a canopy anyways but some water still gets blown under there, but I can't imagine why it shouldn't be covered. I already ordered a Weber cover (it was only $30 on ebay).

tiewunon

JM,
It goes back to that moisture thing. Many folks believe the cover traps in moisture especially the folks in a humid climate. If the cover is vented I just don’t see a problem.
I live in the Tidewater Va area and it is humid as all get out in the summer and I have no issues with rust nor mold in any of my gsssers or ceramic cookers.
BTW I still have my original Weber cover on my Genesis. Veranda makes some decent covers I have one on my AOG. Got that one off Amazon but sometimes Northern Tool stocks them.

grillguy

JM,

Weber E-310 is a great choice and you seem to be getting a good deal.
Regarding grates - it depends. The stainless steel would last longer. The porcelain coated grates from Weber are decent.

The Weber Spirit II E-310 is one of the best propane grills under $500.

Last edited by a moderator:

jm88

I did end up getting the Genesis S-310 for $400 and have used it 4 or 5 times already. So far I love the stainless steel grates and how easy they are to clean. I know the built in thermometers on any grills are not very good, but this one shoots up right away so it is practically worthless, but I expected that anyways. I guess it is time to get a good ambient thermometer. I still don't know why this was so cheap...maybe because it was natural gas and they don't sell as many and where trying to move them. Thanks again for all the advice.