Thanksgiving from the black pot.

H

Happyhoney

When I was growing up we had this cast iron cooking pot that we fired up in the back yard to make apple butter as well as other things throughout the year. Yesterday my brother fired it up again to do a seafood boil and it was delicious. Do any of you still cook in cast iron pot over the fire?

L

L_B

I haven't done it but I remember growing up my dad always did. We would head out for a day at the beach and he would set up the cast iron cooking pot over the fire and he would make a stew. We would play all day and then at the end of the day we would have a bowl of stew before we headed home. I have so many wonderful memories of those times. I am looking into getting one to take camping with us next summer but as of yet I haven't purchased one!

H

Happyhoney

The one we used brought back so many memories. I can remember the exact spot in the back yard where it sat as we rendered lard and made cracklings in the fall. My kids will never know what that means. :)

L

L_B

Those were the days. Life was so much simpler back then. It was all those little things in life that made for good memories. We never wanted for much. Being outside with family was where we wanted to be. Life sure has changed!

C

castiron

When I was growing up we had this cast iron cooking pot that we fired up in the back yard to make apple butter as well as other things throughout the year. Yesterday my brother fired it up again to do a seafood boil and it was delicious. Do any of you still cook in cast iron pot over the fire?
My husbands family had a cast iron kettle est around 20 to 25 gallon; made apple butter from apples harvested off three trees. I have been looking at comments in another website, for using slow cooker. I could not afford a cast iron pot that size.

C

castiron

The one we used brought back so many memories. I can remember the exact spot in the back yard where it sat as we rendered lard and made cracklings in the fall. My kids will never know what that means. :)
Time will tell, but I am hoping my daughters will get to learn those skills. I know how to set up for the "easier" way my disabled relatives did and for the harder able body did. Believe it is prudent to do the easier and safe way. My son in law does the bbq, but my daughter does the campside cooking over open fire. Both are good cooks.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I still use cast iron a lot. Both on grill and over open fire with the use of a tripod or grates. Also use it in the house. I would love to find a 20-25 gallon kettle. @Cappy who visits here from time to time has a big one too.

Cappy

IMG_0054.JPG

Who me??