Sweet & Sour Sauce

G

grillqueen79

I mentioned in another thread that I needed a recipe for sweet and sour sauce for tonight's dinner and I think that I have found a winner.I will come back and let you know how it turns out.

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup white or rice vinegar (Note: rice vinegar gives better results)
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 4 teaspoons water
Preparation:

Mix the vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce together and bring to a boil in a small pot. Mix together the cornstarch and water, add to the other ingredients and stir to thicken.

(If desired, you can add 1 green pepper, cut into chunks, and pineapple chunks as desired after adding the cornstarch. For a thicker sauce, increase the cornstarch to 4 teaspoons while keeping the water constant.)

T

TopChef

Thank you for posting this recipe. I tend to forget about sweet and sour sauce as an option. My kids love it with nuggets, and it is nice to have some on hand for a stir-fry But we know that homemade is nearly always better for us than store-bought.

O

ohiotom76

This sounds like it would be pretty good, it's very similar to a recipe for BBQ sauce that I used to make at a pizza joint I worked at. The only main difference was we used Apple Cider vinegar, no cornstarch, and instead of the soy sauce, we used liquid smoke. The ratios of the ingredients were a little different too.

For future reference, some other simple sweet & sour sauce recipes:

- Apricot Preserves & Spicy Brown Mustard. You can add some garlic to it as well for some extra flavor and savoriness. This is fantastic on pork loin, but it works on Chicken well too.

- Chili Sauce & Grape Jam/or canned Cranberry sauce. This is great on turkey meatballs.