Soap or No Soap

S

SparkFire

My friend has a cast iron skillet and uses soap to clean it. I thought you weren't supposed to use soap at all on cast iron but she claims it's the only way to keep it clean. Do any of you ever use soap on your cast iron?

T

Tesla

No, No, No!!! I generally just wipe mine out with a paper towel and make sure it has plenty of oil on it before storing it for the next usage. Then only time soap I ever used is if something is stuck so fast that it has to be soaked to remove the food. That seldom happens if seasoned properly.

J

joshposh

Sorry guys, the last time I used one of those was a long time ago. We use to clean it out with soap all the time like regular dishes that needed to be cleaned. We never thought twice about the longevity of it. We didn't have the internet to research these things back then.

C

Chopper

I'd say that I clean mine with soap about every third time I use it. It all depends on what I cooked in it. After washing it with dish soap and rinsing it well. I make sure it is completely dry and then rub olive oil all over the inside of the pan and wipe off the excess. No problems.

P

piggypie

My mother would wash hers with the other dishes, by hand, of course. But that thing fried so much stuff, I'm sure there was enough oil embedded there to last a lifetime, soap or no.

D

Diane Lane

I've always heard not to use soap on them, but then again, it might be a case by case basis, and if the pan is entirely too greasy or dirty and needs more than a simple wipe out, it sounds as if what @Chopper does would be fine to re-ready it for cooking. I'd emphasize rinsing it well, because you definitely don't want any soap residue sticking and ruining your food.

My father went ballistic on me one time because I dared to use dish soap when washing the coffee carafe. I do it all the time in my home, and use water and vinegar to break down the hard water stains if there are any, but apparently he had never used soap in it, only vinegar when needed, and obviously he didn't appreciate it, so this type of thing is a personal decision, in my opinion.

C

Chopper

I always use soap to wash the coffee pot. I never before heard anyone ever say that you shouldn't.

If I cook chili or stew in the cast iron, I definitely wash it in the sink with dish soap afterward. It would be unsanitary not to. If I use it to fry something, I'll just wipe it out really good, and if there is no food residue at all, it's good to go for next time.

D

Diane Lane

I always use soap to wash the coffee pot. I never before heard anyone ever say that you shouldn't.

If I cook chili or stew in the cast iron, I definitely wash it in the sink with dish soap afterward. It would be unsanitary not to. If I use it to fry something, I'll just wipe it out really good, and if there is no food residue at all, it's good to go for next time.

I hadn't realized some people didn't, either. He was going through some medical issues at the time, otherwise he wouldn't have blown up like that. They did use a lot of vinegar to clean, which I do nowadays, as well, but that was the first I'd heard of that, and I obviously didn't enough pay attention when I was living at home growing up, to notice how they washed it.

C

Chopper

I admit that I am lazy and don't wash out the coffee pot every single day. Most of the time I just rinse it out and it gets washed a couple times a week. Every couple of months I fill the sink with hot water, throw in a cap full of bleach and let the pot and filter basket soak for awhile. The filter basket is white and gets stained and starts to look nasty. The machine gets white vinegar run through it every so often.

For really dirty cast iron, I scrub it out with kosher salt. Rinse it really well and then rub it with oil.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I do not use soap. I have a scrapper and have used salt for bad stuff. Usually clean it out and burn it off slightly.

L

Linkess

I always wash mine with soap and it fries fine. I have never tried just wiping with paper towels, but its worth a try to see if anything changes.

O

oportosanto

I don't think soap is necessary too, I am with Jasn, scrapper and salt do the trick.