Simple Tomato and Onion Salad

J

j_pin

It's usually so hot during BBQ season that I like to make sure I have plenty of light side dishes to go along with what we are eating. This one is delicious and so simple to make:

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar $
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 large tomatoes, thinly sliced $
  • 1 medium-size sweet onion, thinly sliced $
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • Preparation
  • Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Arrange tomato and onion slices in rows in a serving dish. Sprinkle with chopped basil, and drizzle evenly with marinade. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.

D

dissn_it

I am thinking this would be really good using heirloom tomoatoes. It does sound like a great and easy to make side dish to take the place of a green salad. Thanks for sharing it with us!

P

psymonizer

I think I would try to add some roasted garlic to it first, I am such a fan of roasted garlic and I think I may try to stuff the tomatoes with the ingredients. That may also be something to try over a campfire or even wrapped in tinfoil in a stove. Thanks for the recipe though I will keep it in mind when i go grocery shopping next week.

D

dconklin

This sounds pretty good! I usually make mine real simple since I usually make it as a throw it together quick kind of side dish. I cheat and usually just throw Italian dressing on mine.

M

moondrop

I'm not a fan of dressing, but I make a similar dish. I take equal parts fresh diced tomatoes, onions, and green peppers and toss them together. I add a fat pinch of dried oregano, a couple of squirts of Tabasco sauce, and a tablespoon or so of lemon juice.

The proportion of ingredients can be easily adjusted to suit your taste, and cilantro can be substituted for the oregano. This makes a tasty basic salsa, or can be eaten as a salad.

F

FireBrick

This is really easy to whip up. I am thinking of what else can I add without ruining the simplicity this salad recipe. Maybe green and red bell peppers would do.

R

Rose @ Walnut Acre

This recipe sounds wonderful. I noticed some suggestions for additions or changes and the peppers and Italian dressing sound like something I would consider. But however you choose to make it, it sounds delightful.

B

bigal3

I will have to give this recipe a try. I particularly love tomatoes which happen to be good for my arthritis. They contain "Lycopine" which is good for arthritis relief.