Rubs without sugar

C

ChiliBeans

One of the contestants at a local barbecue contest told me that some of the best rubs were 25% sugar. Is this true? I am diabetic and need to avoid all that sugar. I'd be interested in sugar-free, artificial sweetener-free, rub recipes in addition to the ones containing sugar.

C

Cowboy

Yes, it's true that most rubs have either cane sugar or brown sugar. Here's a basic one for you. This is a sugar free Texas-style rub that is good for brisket or beef ribs.

1/2 c. sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 c. non-iodized salt
1/4 c. freshly ground black pepper
1 t. cayenne

Combine all the ingredients. It will store in an airtight container for up to a year.

L

LoveThatBBQ

That looks like an interesting rub there Cowboy. I think I will make some up and give it a try. I'm always interested in trying new rubs for some of the meat we grill. Thanks.

G

grillin_n_chillin

ChiliBeans, thanks for bringing this up. While I am not Diabetic, I still don't like the idea of rubs that are 1/4 or more sugar.

Cowboy, thanks for the recipe! We will definitely be trying it out next time we cook ribs. :)

H

Hilt

I would much rather use cane sugar or brown if I can. It seems the older I get the more I dislike "pure" sugar, it seems to sit weird with me. I never mind some flavor but too much makes me not want to eat that food again, you know what I mean?

D

dashboardc33

When I have made bbq ribs I have never used sugar in my barbecue sauce recipe. This is an interesting fact to know that they use that much sugar. Using raw sugar or even brown sugar would be much healthier in the recipe. "Cowboy" offered a great recipe that sounds delicious! I'll have to try this method!

A

Arnold

I was surprised that some sauces have that much sugar in them. No wonder they are so sticky on your fingers. All that sugar turns to syrup. My sister's sauce is like that, and it's just too sweet for me. I'm going to give Cowboy's recipe a whirl.

S

shaun

You do not NEED to use sugar in a rub. I make a naturally sweet BBQ sauce, using roasted sweet potatoes, peppers and caramelised onions for sweetness. You can also use fruit like apple or orange juice.

J

jblythe4

I like to experiment with a lot of different rubs and what I have found is that the rubs with sugar get a nice gooey crust on the meat, and that's not for everybody. Cowboy doe's have a nice no sugar rub and you could add more spices to that to suit your tastes.

R

roses12roses12

You can definitely make a rub without sugar. You can use Sea salt, ground pepper, paprika and curry powder.

H

Hilt

No you do not need to but it is a nice flavor and sometimes you do not even need to add a ton to it. Less is more, remember.

D

dconklin

I have never added sugar to any rubs I have made. Of course if I buy BBQ sauce, that has sugar. My main ingredient is almost always garlic, no matter what I am making. My whole family is a bunch of garlic addicts-could be worse!

I do not often add salt either, but if I do it is a real small amount. Any combination of garlic and minced onion will not need salt or sugar. You can experiment with many other add-ins such as Italian seasoning or spicy. Whichever variety you like. I experiment all the time and do not honestly keep track of how much of anything. I am one of those "a little of this and a lot of that" kind of person.

G

goodselfme

One of the contestants at a local barbecue contest told me that some of the best rubs were 25% sugar. Is this true? I am diabetic and need to avoid all that sugar. I'd be interested in sugar-free, artificial sweetener-free, rub recipes in addition to the ones containing sugar.
If you make your own rub you will be able to put into it what you want and avoid what you don't want in it. Stick to simple ingredients and don't go with purchased prepared or bottled products. I practice when I grill for myself while I write down what I have done so I can duplicate it when I have guests.