Purchasing a Dutch Oven

M

Mrs. Pirz

I need advice - my husband has recently let slip that he really wants a cast iron dutch oven with an enameled inside. A friend of ours came over for dinner the other night and they prepared Juila's boeuf bourguignon in the one he had which is an Emeril brand dutch oven. It came out great and the pot seems to be of great quality but I wouldn't want to get him the same one his friend has - altough its obvious he loved it! I am looking for something I can actually have him keep for years and can be used under ground as well. Would any of you know where I can start looking for this? I am willing to go up to $400 for it since I know that these are made of everlasting cast iron and you just can't replace a piece like that.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I like Lodge for new. I do not know of any of theirs with an enameled inside though.

One thing to look into is if you want a "camping" one that has legs for coals to fit under, and a lipped lid to hold coals on top, or one without that would work better for things like putting in the oven or stove top.

M

Mrs. Pirz

Yeah I was looking for one with legs and a lipped lid specifically to be able to stick in the ground and supply the heat around it. Does Lodge make any like that?

L

Laurasav

Since joining BBQ Geeks and seeing the recipes for food in a dutch oven, I've been wanting to get one. We were on our way to Frankenmuth when we stopped to do some shopping at the Birch Run outlets. There was some kind of kitchen store there & we went in to look for a dutch oven. They only had aluminum, glass top ones that were good for up to 450 degrees. So not the kind of dutch oven I want to use for outside cooking. So do I have to go to a camping store to find a cast iron one?

D

dissn_it

Lodge is probably your best bet. They do make enameled dutch ovens but they do not have the legs that you are wanting. They do make the kind with the legs and lid in a seasoned cast iron, though. You can order directly off of their website if you want to. Here's the link: http://www.lodgemfg.com/Logic-camp-dutch-ovens.asp

M

Mrs. Pirz

Thanks - I will definitely look into their inventory to see if I can find what I am looking for. :D

W

Waynefire

I got my wives from Sams club for about 40 bucks. This was a great buy and the one she is still using to this day. The only problem we have had with it is the lid has a bit of the enamel chipped off of it from where I dropped it on accident.

M

Mrs. Pirz

I got my wives from Sams club for about 40 bucks. This was a great buy and the one she is still using to this day. The only problem we have had with it is the lid has a bit of the enamel chipped off of it from where I dropped it on accident.

Yeah thats the only thing that would stop me from purchasing enamel inside but I am a proud owner of many other enameled products and luckily no chips yet - now just gotta watch the hubby and make sure he doesn't drop his :eek:

S

SmokeyJoe

Yeah I was looking for one with legs and a lipped lid specifically to be able to stick in the ground and supply the heat around it. Does Lodge make any like that?

I have 4 Lodge dutch ovens and I've never seen one like this with enamel on the inside. The ones with enamel don't have legs and are meant to be used inside. The ones with the legs can be used inside and outside.

S

SMOKIN'-ROB

You can order lodge cast iron off line, or you can purchase any of there products through any tractor supply store.
When looking for cast iron, look for something that has some weight to it. alot of the cast iron is now made in china, and is alot thinner than the ones that is made here in the good ol' USA. "They are more fragile, and don't hold the heat as well as the thicker ones".

S

streakanime

I think I know where I am going to be going to get one for my hubby. Sam's Club always seems to have really great prices. But, I would have never thought to think about getting kitchenware there. I know my hubby is going to be very happy to have one! :p

A

Anna T

Most of the Lodge items are made in the U.S. but for some reason I remember my husband telling me that the ones with enamel from Lodge are (at least some of them are) made in China :(

T

TheMaster

Lodge is one of the nicers ones if you ask me.. I wish we would've bout a dutch oven sooner we use it for desert at least once a week.. And we all love it! Oh bring on the peach "cabler".