Portable grill for rv

jalapeno_jane

Greetings, geeks!
Recently I've been thinking of a small pellet grill for the ease of cooking while we are on the road.

I did my research, and from what I found, it seems like a Traeger is a pure winner here (just random quotes I found on RV forums I read as a proof).
I have two Traegers and love them both!! It is nearly impossible to mess up anything on a Traeger and food is always perfect. In 7-8 years of smoking,
Traeger is without a doubt the most popular and recognized smoker out there.
I also love my Traeger. I have a Junior Elite and have used it for nearly 2 years. One thing not mentioned here is that it is a GREAT oven.
...etc, you get the point.

So I've been leaning towards getting a Traeger Junior, but a fellow camper is in love with his Green Mountain pellet grills at home and on the road. He claims that the cooked product is superior to any other type of grill. It’s basically a smoker that can also sear meat as desired. He did have 2 Traeger grills but returned them for these ones.
Also I heard that Rec-Tec are reliable. So anything good or bad about the Rec-Tec models? Pellet consumption? Issues? Build quality? Currently I'm looking at RT-340 but it weighs 80lbs which is quite bad comparing to Traeger (60lbs) and Green Mountain (60lbs) recommended by a fellow.

Or maybe there's a better solution? I'm looking in the $600 and under area for something that will fit a 10lb brisket. I really don't need something large as it will mostly be used for me & my husband. Under 80lbs preferably.
Also, has anyone used the portable pellet grills that run off 12 volt or an AC adapter? How do they work in general?

I'm in no hurry, so any ideas are welcome!

tiewunon

J_J
When snowbirding I see a few folks with pellet grills though few and far between. The most common I see is the portable GMG. I do not travel with a pellet grill but have one at the sticks and bricks.
I have a medium big green egg I have been carrying in one of the pass thru bays with no issues for 11 years. Also lug along a holland companion (company just went out of business) which is a portable gasser. Best chicken cooker on the planet.
Understand your idea of pellet grill...but have you thought about an maybe an Akorn much cheaper but maybe a bit dirtier. However you still will have to deal with the fuel and its storage. Lump charcoal or briquettes is a bit more forgiving than pellets are to dampness. Nothing worse than damp or wet pellets. However the biggest factor is with the pellet grill you will need to get power to it. Have not seen one run on a 12v adapter.

jalapeno_jane

Thanks for your fast reply, @tiewunon!
Well, I was not thinking about possible issues with dampness. Still, we have quite good air conditioning in our RV + relative humidity (no extra dampness, no mold issues - so far so good!). So I believe that won't be a problem as they won't be stored outside. And yes, we have a generator to power the grill - I'd like to know about adapter just in case.
I'll have a look at models you suggested, thanks!

tiewunon

J_J
If you go the pellet route highly recommend that you do not scrimp on pellets. You definitely get what you pay for.
Secondly remember to empty the pellet hopper and auger tube after use. You will most likely leave your grill set up on your site and that is where the humidity/dampness or water incursion from rain will get you.
Not sure if any of the pellet grills you are looking at have a pellet hopper dump but if it does thats a plus.
If you routinely use your pellet grill you have to worry less on dampness in the hopper.
You must do alot of dry camping (I like it also) if you are running the genny. At the CG in Fl most folks just run an extension under their rig from one of the unused 20 or 30 amp receptacle on the power pole.