• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon molasses
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt or seasoned salt
Medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a slow boil
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.

B

BBQueen

Thanks for posting this Jason. I am always on the lookout for a tasty sauce for pork. I have a hard time doing different things with pork and often fall into a rut.

M

marinated

This sounds pretty good. By the looks of the ingredients, it should have a bit of kick to it without being really spicy - is that correct? I'll have to give this a try on some ribs I picked up this week. I'll have to pick up some molasses, though. I just used the last of mine cooking baked beans.

M

MsrCfsg

Oh this would have been so good for the barb bee Q this past weekend.
I screwed up the sauce really bad, by trying to be inventive. It came out tasting like some kind
of soured Ketchup. Sigh. If you don't suceed, try and try again.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
This sounds pretty good. By the looks of the ingredients, it should have a bit of kick to it without being really spicy - is that correct? I'll have to give this a try on some ribs I picked up this week. I'll have to pick up some molasses, though. I just used the last of mine cooking baked beans.

I did not have any notes on this one, sorry.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
Oh this would have been so good for the barb bee Q this past weekend.
I screwed up the sauce really bad, by trying to be inventive. It came out tasting like some kind
of soured Ketchup. Sigh. If you don't suceed, try and try again.

Yup, learn by your mistakes. I try to taste beforehand, but sometimes the sauces take a different flavor when they cook in. The white sauce recipe http://www.bbqgeeks.com/food/delicious-white-bbq-sauce-straight-from-down-south/ a lot of people tell me they do not like beforehand as it is salty. But once they cook with it, they enjoy it.

M

MsrCfsg

Yup, learn by your mistakes. I try to taste beforehand, but sometimes the sauces take a different flavor when they cook in. The white sauce recipe http://www.bbqgeeks.com/food/delicious-white-bbq-sauce-straight-from-down-south/ a lot of people tell me they do not like beforehand as it is salty. But once they cook with it, they enjoy it.

You know what my biggest problem is: Spices!
Last year I got some kind of cutesy Spice rack gift set from Target. It wasn't really a gift, just something that I thought would look cool in my kitchen. Ever since then I have been adding various spices to recipes and concoctions that probably don't work well with said spice. I am really going to have to start going by the book as they say on these recipes, cause all this adding and substituting is just ruining my cooking.

G

GwapaLala

This is pretty much like what I use for my pork bbq. However, I use Pepsi/Coke instead of the molasses. It tastes really good! I make it during my dad's birthday!

S

shaun

I like your recipe. It looks similar to a barbecue sauce recipe. Could you use it as a barbecue sauce? Do you serve it cold like a dipping sauce?

B

beckyv1265

You know what my biggest problem is: Spices!
Last year I got some kind of cutesy Spice rack gift set from Target. It wasn't really a gift, just something that I thought would look cool in my kitchen. Ever since then I have been adding various spices to recipes and concoctions that probably don't work well with said spice. I am really going to have to start going by the book as they say on these recipes, cause all this adding and substituting is just ruining my cooking.
I would smell and taste the spice first to see if you like it. You can also get a book of spices and get to know a few at a time. Occasionaly its just because some things are unfamiliar to you. I say try it a few times and see if you develope a taste for it.