Pellet Smoker, Charcoal Grill or both?

Sordova

Here is a hypothetical. You have an 800.00 budget to purchase smokers and or grills. How do you spend your money to maximize versatility, quality and technology?

I am interested I hearing your thoughts!

tiewunon

Sordova,
That is a great question, often debated and fought over. I have multiple grills in my herd and here is my 2 cents which BTW means zilch its your money.
  • "BLUF" Bottom Line Up Front I would go with something like Weber 26" Kettle with a SNS "slo n sear" or the equivalent SNS grill. This arrangement gives you a darn good griller and smoker with a great deal of grate space. So I have you in the charcoal briqs or lump realm.
  • Nothing the matter with a pellet grill BUT they are not too well suited for straight stick grilling. Can they grill YES but just not the best at it. Then the smoking side they do a pretty good job of it with a bit lighter smoke profile. There are ways to ramp up the smoke profile (smoker tube etc). You do have a bit of maintenance/cleaning with these grills.
  • Another option might be a Kamado you can grill and smoke with these and you use lump charcoal.
  • If you are not a Weber fan a couple of other charcoal/lump grill options would be a PK grill either the PKO, PK360. The PK will out live you but have limited grate space, that is where that 26" Weber reigns supreme.
  • Lastly here is one more charcoal briq/lump cooker that is a bit bigger than the Weber 26" will eat more into your $800 or over it and that would be a Hastybake Grill.
Hope this balloon juice helps.

Sordova

Thanks for the insight. I hope to generate some good response and see what people think. I understand brand loyalty and experience and I know that the BBQ, smoking and grilling community all have their best list, but I thought this would get people thinking. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to respond.

tiewunon

Now for the "Paul Harvey"... I have a couple of Ceramic Kamado's (BGE and Primo Oval) hanging around, a PKO, Hastybake Gourmet, Weber 21" Kettle, MAK pellet grill and a some gassers (Weber, AOG, Holland and Phoenix).
So if you have any particular questions concerning any of those particular grills feel free to ask.
Forgot to mention this with the Weber and Hastybake you can add a Rotisserie attachment and add that type of cooming to your arsenal also.

wv5b

Now for the "Paul Harvey"... I have a couple of Ceramic Kamado's (BGE and Primo Oval) hanging around, a PKO, Hastybake Gourmet, Weber 21" Kettle, MAK pellet grill and a some gassers (Weber, AOG, Holland and Phoenix).
So if you have any particular questions concerning any of those particular grills feel free to ask.
Forgot to mention this with the Weber and Hastybake you can add a Rotisserie attachment and add that type of cooming to your arsenal also.
I added a Rotisserie attachment to my Kettle Grill. I put a large Prime Rib on and it was excellent

Sordova

I added a Rotisserie attachment to my Kettle Grill. I put a large Prime Rib on and it was excellent
How would you spend your 800.00 assuming you had nothing to start with. Accessories, not included, but focus on basic equipment. You sound like you know what you are talking about, so please consider the original question and let us know your thoughts. Your answer is valid.