Pasta salad

B

Burg14

Do you make pasta salad? My family loves it. I have seen some many variations of pasta salad. Some people load it with fresh veggies and some with just meat and cheese. What do you put in yours?

T

TopChef

My favorite is one I haven't made in a long time. I includes a lot of ingredients: rotini pasta as well as tortolini, quartered pepperoni slices, diced green pepper and red onion, Italian dressing. I like to keep it in a huge pasta bowl in the fridge so I can grab a bowlful whenever I need a quick meal.

B

BBQueen

My favorite is one I haven't made in a long time. I includes a lot of ingredients: rotini pasta as well as tortolini, quartered pepperoni slices, diced green pepper and red onion, Italian dressing. I like to keep it in a huge pasta bowl in the fridge so I can grab a bowlful whenever I need a quick meal.

I have made it like this myself and it is delicious. The standard recipe in my family though is elbow noodles, Miracle Whip, onions, tuna, peas and salt and pepper. It is a family favorite and never sticks around long.

B

Burg14

BBQueen - that is my macaroni salad, not pasta salad. I make my macaroni the same as you and it's so yum. I'm making one of those today and a pasta too.

I load my pasta with tons of veggies. I use snap peas, corn (frozen), peppers (orange and green), radishes, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, cheese (sharp), pepperoni, noodles and Italian dressing. I have most of my veggies cut up, just need to toss it all together.

S

shaun

When I used to eat pasta I made pasta salad with cherry tomatoes, peas, Parm ham, and spring onions. I dressed the pasta with lemon juice and lots of extra virgin olive oil, and grated loads of Parmigiano Reggiano over the top. Parmigiano Reggiano makes everything taste good!

F

FireBrick

For my pasta salad, I usually use penne or fusilli. I put diced fresh tomatoes, cucumber, green and red bell pepper. For the dressing, I use olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a little mayo.

G

grillter

I made a cold tuna spaghetti salad and it was promising. My mom loved the taste in an instant. I just used sour cream, tuna chunks drained from brine, some chopped onions, basil leaves, sliced black pitted olives and parmesan cheese on the noodles. Before serving it, I had to chill it in the fridge with cover.

M

Mrs. Pirz

My mom makes a very yummy pasta salad. She uses elbow macaroni, she cooks and sets it aside. Then she boils chicken until its fall of the bone and shreds it. She throws the chicken in to the pasta and mixes in mayo, canned fruit cocktail (without the syrup) and hard boiled eggs. When she doesn't have chicken she uses tuna and its even better in my opinion. Sometimes she puts raisins or olives in there. This sounds like a weird mix but it really is delicious.

H

hellocitty

Pasta salad-- a summer favorite! My summer favorite anyway... :)

I use the tri colored noodles and Italian salad dressing. I add cheddar cheese and mozzerella cheese, pepperoni, black olives, broccoli, diced cherry tomatoes, and red onion usually.

Next time I make it, I think I will use pepperjack cheese instead of mozzerella.

So many things you can do with a recipe like this!!!

R

reycags

my home made salad:

here it is hehe :) hope you'll like it

Ingredients

• 3 ounces blanched slivered almonds
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 5 slices bacon
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (such as Ac'cent®)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 heads leaf lettuce - rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 cup chow mein noodles
Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Spread the almonds and sesame seeds onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the almonds are just turning golden brown, about 8 minutes. Set aside to cool completely. Meanwhile, place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate, cool, and crumble.
  4. Cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool; crumble.
  5. Make the dressing by shaking the sugar, vinegar, monosodium glutamate, vegetable oil, and garlic in a glass jar with a sealable lid until mixed. Combine the cooled almonds, sesame seeds, crumbled bacon, lettuce, and chow mein noodles in a bowl. Pour the dressing overtop and gently toss until coated.

R

R. Paradon

BBQueen - that is my macaroni salad, not pasta salad.

That statement made me laugh! For about 2/3s of my life anything that was not spaghetti was called macaroni...then all of a sudden it magically changed to pasta!

B

bigal3

My recipe for pasta salad can be used for just about any style pasta. I boil and drain the pasta and let it cool. While it is cooking I prep green onions, finely chopped; finely shredded carrots, finely chopped black olives, finely chopped fresh garlic and if you want you can use finely chop bell pepper. All that is left now is the salad dressing(salad cream). Here in Thailand there is one called "Salad Cream". It is similar to "miracle Whip" but if you don't want the sweetness they have you can use ordinary mayonnaise. You can add additional seasoning to your taste. With this one it is fun to experiment. I use oregano, sage and black pepper as well. Sometime I add tuna, and sometime I add chicken. For that "smokey" flavor you can use smoked bacon also finally chopped. It gives the salad another dimension. It just depends on how I feel at the time. By-the-way, IT IS DELICIOUS if I do say so myself.

J

Jenine

When I make pasta salad (not macaroni salad), I use either penne pasta or regular spaghetti noodles. I like to load it with a combination of meat, cheese, and vegetables that way you get all the nutrients you need in one dish. I usually use either tuna or chicken, Parmesan, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, olives, red or white onions, salt, pepper and then mix it altogether with Italian dressing.

J

Jessi

I don't generally make it. I don't like the taste of cold pasta, which is pretty much required for any sort of pasta salad, lol. I've had some that were pretty good, but I only ever make them for other people or will try some when I'm out.

R

rollybooz

I'm a really huge fan of pasta salads and that's always the first one I go for at the salad bar of restaurants! Sad thing is, I've never been able to make a good one myself. I'm more towards cold pasta salads that are without meats but tossed with vegetable bits just like what TopChef makes. Will try that for myself to see if that's the flavour I have been desperately trying to find!