No campfires after 11 at night?

BarbiQ

There are a couple campgrounds here that don't allow campfires after eleven o'clock at night. For us, half the fun is staying up well past midnight, enjoying the quiet and the fire.

I understand that they do this, in part, to discourage people from staying up too late and annoying other campers. We are respectful of other people around us, but we tend to camp at places where we aren't all on top of each other, and we don't like this limitation.

What do you think of this rule?

Tessa

That doesn't even begin to make sense to me! Late night fires are the best. Maybe they're worried about people going to sleep without tending them properly? That's the only other thing I can think of--maybe people aren't putting them out like they're supposed to. Either way, that sucks!

Burg14

There are no campgrounds around here with that rule. There are "quiet hours" at each campground, just means you need to be back at a campsite. We have gotten spoken to many times because we were too loud.

joshposh

In Hawaii, depending on what island you are on, you can camp as long as you like. Stay up as long as you like, and have a fire lit as long as you want. The more secluded the island is, the more liberties you have.

Briquet

That really sucks. My favorite part of camping is staying up late to watch the fire and talk quietly. I wouldn't go to a camp with that rule.

BarbiQ

I haven't done this recently, but there was a time years ago when we liked to put sleeping bags right by the fire and sleep out in the open and watch the stars. My back can't take that now!

We'll just go to camping areas that allow us to have fires all night if we want. We aren't noisy at all and we always properly extinguish the coals. I guess other people come along and ruin things sometimes.

I would love to go camping in Hawaii! :cool:

Reactions: L_B

Hilt

Most of these places, at least the ones I have visited have a large enough area to accommodate both types of campers. Similar to how a restaurant has a smoking and non-smoking section. I don't see why they could not do something like this and implement a noise rule.

Kateri

Every place that I have ever camped at just have the "quiet hours" also. This means that you can't run a generator and make too much noise, it doesn't mean that you have to put out your fire. I don't think I would be camping back at that place anytime soon. I don't like that rule at all.

BarbiQ

When we're camping, we don't want to hear any noise at night either. The fire is essential on cooler evenings and it is also needed for the light. It gets pretty dark out there. I think a better rule would be no unattended fires. If you're going into the tent or camper, put it out. If you're sitting up quietly, it should be okay. They must have had some kind of problem with people which made them change their rules.

Canbeef

I've never heard of this rule. Maybe they are worried if people drink by the fire they may forget to put it out? I could see the "no noise" after 11:00 p.m. but no fire doesn't really make sense. When you are hanging out by the fire with friends the evening tends to go quickly and next thing you know it's past midnight.

L_B

I have only been at one campsite where they went around at midnight and poured water on every fire. The said it was a safety thing. All the other campgrounds I have been to never say a thing about your camp fires. As long as you are respectful of fellow campers you can stay up around the fire as long as you want. I was at one campground though that didn't allow any fires. If you wanted a fire you had to walk down to the beach which was very inconvenient. Needless to say we never went back there.