Navajo Traditions - Cooking over an open fire

oportosanto

Many times we try the same things cooked in a different way and the result is stunning, this might well be the case, thanks for sharing!

Diane Lane

You're welcome. I love the idea of cooking over an open flame. Everything seems to taste so much better when it's cooked outdoors, and over a flame. Fire pits are very common here, and many use them to make S'mores, but others use them to cook additional items, as well. I'm seeing more fire pit cooking grills/grates, but I hope people using them are aware that they shouldn't be using treated wood or fireplace logs for that purpose, due to chemicals in those products.

L_B

We often cook over an open fire when we are camping. Last year we spent a lot of time camping at the beach so we used a lot of beach wood to cook with. It gave the food and awesome flavour.

Diane Lane

That sounds really nice. I've never camped on the beach, just at a lake, and that was quite a while ago. I've never thought of using beach / driftwood for cooking, but maybe I should start collecting any branches I find at the beach down the street, because that sounds really amazing. I would imagine it does flavor the food, since that's why certain wood is favored over others.