Mexican butternut squash soup

S

shaun

Roast one chopped butternut squash in the oven until slightly caramelized. Roast the seeds as well.
Cook one chopped onion in butter until soft and translucent. Add 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic, chipotle chilli to taste, 1 tbsp of dried oregano, 1 tsp of smoky paprika, 1 tsp of ground cumin, and a stick of cinnamon. Cook the spices for 2-3 minutes and then add 1 liter chicken or vegetable stock, followed by the roasted butternut squash. Simmer for 20 minutes. Blend to form a thick soup.
Serve with fresh coriander, lime juice, the roasted seeds, and a drizzle of sour cream if you like.

M

Mrs. Pirz

Woah this is an awesome recipe for soup. I dont make many soups and have been trying to incorporate more squash into my diet and this honestly seems like a delicious way to do so. Is it better to do this with vegetable stock?

D

dashboardc33

I'm not a fan of butternut squash, but I have made it in a soup before and it turned out amazing. I would be interested in trying the Mexican style butternut squash soup. It sounds really good and seems like it would be great for fall. Thanks for posting this for all of us here!

S

shaun

Woah this is an awesome recipe for soup. I dont make many soups and have been trying to incorporate more squash into my diet and this honestly seems like a delicious way to do so. Is it better to do this with vegetable stock?

I prefer the flavor of chicken stock but that's my personal preference, it doesn't really matter.

I have another good recipe for butternut squash, it's a sweet & sour side dish.

Chop the squash and roast until slightly caramelized. Roast the seeds as well. While it's roasting cook onion, red pepper, mushrooms, garlic, chilli, and coriander stalks in a pan until soft and sweet. Add the squash to the pan, finish with the juice of a lime, roasted seeds, and handful of fresh cilantro.

M

Mrs. Pirz

That sounds very yummy - thanks for the recipe. When you add the coriander stalks do you cut them up or throw them in whole? I would probably throw them in whole and remove before serving but then again its your recipe so you would know best.

J

Jenine

Sounds great. I never really had butternut squash soup before. I've had squash before and it's pretty good. But this squash was seasoned so it didn't have it's natural sweet taste.

D

dissn_it

Here's two more ways that I can use butternut squash! I think I would really like the soup recipe. I do make a lot of soups and stews in the fall when it starts getting really cold. This one sounds like a really good one to have then. Thanks!

S

shaun

That sounds very yummy - thanks for the recipe. When you add the coriander stalks do you cut them up or throw them in whole? I would probably throw them in whole and remove before serving but then again its your recipe so you would know best.

You could do that. I prefer to finely chop the stalks, the stalks have the most flavor. I would leave the stalks whole if I was making a soup or a stock.

B

beckyv1265

Now that sound so good. I am going to get me a squash and make it.