Dutch Oven Made a delicious beef stew last night

H

hotcoals

It was windy, so I did cook it inside but the recipe would work over a fire or a grill, too. I cut my beef up into cubes and dredged it in flour, then seared in hot oil. Once seared, I put it in the dutch oven with about 6 cups of water and 4 bouillon cubes. Then I added chopped celery and a huge onion, chopped. I also added in parsley, basil, salt, pepper and about a 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce. After it began boiling, I added a pound of carrots, sliced, along with some fresh cut green beans and about six potatoes. With the flour dredging, I didn't even have to thicken it.

B

banzi1983

Hi Hotcoals

Would love to see pictures of that dish, sounds like a mouth watering experience. Where do you serve this kind of dish, can it be an every week serving or is it for special occassions.

O

ohiotom76

This sounded great, would have loved to see some pictures of it as well. There are certain times, with certain recipes, that for some reason I prefer bouillon over broth - and this would be one of them. For some reason, they just give everything a more intense concentrated flavor than what you get from broth alone.

If you haven't tried it yet, I would suggest checking out the Better Than Bouillon brand soup base. It's sold in a jar right where the other varieties are. It's actually even better tasting, as the name implies, but it's still really cheap considering you get 9 cartons worth of broth out of one jar of the stuff.

E

evelynmcgregor

I love the Better Than Bouillon brand. It is great stuff with a wonderfull flavor and it comes in many varietes,, chicken, beef, ham, vegetable, and I think I have even seen it in mushroom flavor. I use it all the time in soups, stews and gravies.

T

Tarin

I use bouillon sometimes, but I prefer broth if I have it on hand. It is healthier, generally.

I love your beef stew recipe. It is similar to mine. But I add bay leaf and omit parsley. I will have to give parsley a try next time I make stew. Sometimes I throw in cubed turnip with the potatoes, just for something different.

V

Viktor

I love bouillon too, but the sodium content is definitely something to watch out for if you have issues like high blood pressure. I can't add them like I used to, so I roast or grill vegetables to give the stew more flavor. Carrots, onion, and garlic can't be beat. Sometimes I add parsnips, too.

Has anyone tried sage with beef stew? I'm curious as to whether it would work. I love sage, and there's a ton of it i my garden right now.