mac salad for kids

H

Hilt

Without adding a ton of cheese into it what are some good ways to get kids to eat this? I always have a craving for it but neither the kids (or the husband) actually like it. I need to put a new spin on it.

M

Mrs. Pirz

Ok try this - macaroni elbows, chicken, glazed carrots, peas and parmesan cheese. Usually I do a small box of elbow macaroni, 1/2 lb of poached chicken (flavored with a bit of slat and pepper, lemon juice and 1 tsp of minced garlic after its been poached and shredded into little pieces), 1/4 cup of baby carrots sliced and glazed in a pan with a 1 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsps of red wine vinegar, 1/8 cup of peas (canned is fine) and parmesan cheese to taste. The colors usually attract kids and you get them to eat protein, veggies, a bit of starch and some dairy and - its tasty!

T

TheMaster

Ok try this - macaroni elbows, chicken, glazed carrots, peas and parmesan cheese. Usually I do a small box of elbow macaroni, 1/2 lb of poached chicken (flavored with a bit of slat and pepper, lemon juice and 1 tsp of minced garlic after its been poached and shredded into little pieces), 1/4 cup of baby carrots sliced and glazed in a pan with a 1 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsps of red wine vinegar, 1/8 cup of peas (canned is fine) and parmesan cheese to taste. The colors usually attract kids and you get them to eat protein, veggies, a bit of starch and some dairy and - its tasty!
I have tried something similar to that and I personally thought it was really good but my kids saw me put in the veggies and they didn't eat it.. Maybe next time I can sneak in the veggies.

J

Jenine

If you wanna get kids to eat macaroni salad, start by not putting too much mayonnaise in it and make sure the noodles aren't too soft. Here's my family recipe for macaroni salad: elbow macaroni, a little bit of mayonnaise to taste (about four tablespoons to mix around), some red or white onions, carrots, a little celery and two to three cans of tuna fish and of course some salt and pepper to taste. Here's my alternative recipe for macaroni salad: elbow macaroni or rotini pasta (plain, whole wheat or multicolored), some Italian dressing, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, white tuna, salt and pepper to taste, oregano and a dash of garlic. My alternative version can be more like a pasta salad than a macaroni salad because you have the option to use Rotini pasta rather than elbow macaroni.

I

Isabellas2007

I have tried everything to get my kids to eat macaroni and salad is out of reach. I know the only type of macaroni I can get them to eat is the regular box mix from Kraft. Hopefully I can put this to use and get it to eat some of it!

B

Burg14

Sometimes kids just don't like salads because of the Miracle Whip or mayo. How about mixing it up with a fun noodle. I used bow ties when the kids were really young. They loved them! Try using different noodles often and I bet it will keep them trying it.

R

Rose @ Walnut Acre

I like the idea of using different kinds of noodles. Kids often like novelty.

D

dissn_it

I used to make the "rainbow salad" which used the tri colored rotini. To the cooked pasta, I added halved cherry tomatoes, sliced black olives, finely diced red onions, peeled and diced cucumbers, diced ham and diced medium cheddar cheese. I tossed it all together with a little bit of italian salad dressing. My kids loved it but maybe it was just the name.

B

bigal3

I especially like the adding of the chicken. I am going to have to give your salad a try. It sounds very flavorful.

M

Mrs. Pirz

My pleasure - let me know how this goes for you. It's a childhood recipe for me and honestly I just can't refuse a plate of this. Good luck