Sauce Ketchup n Coke

J

Jessi

What kind of ratio are we talking here?

I looked it up and it looks like about 1:1. So one cup of coke for one cup of ketchup. A bunch of the recipes had other things included, too, like worcestershire sauce.

S

Svoboda

I looked it up and it looks like about 1:1. So one cup of coke for one cup of ketchup. A bunch of the recipes had other things included, too, like worcestershire sauce.
I'm definitely giving this a try. Wonder if you used something like cherry coke how that would turn out? This definitely opened up a new arena for me.

G

grillqueen79

I have about a zillion crockpot recipes that call for ketchup and coke. Most of them have a note beside them saying that you could not substitute diet coke in the recipe though.

J

Jessi

I'm definitely giving this a try. Wonder if you used something like cherry coke how that would turn out? This definitely opened up a new arena for me.

I think it would be good. I don't personally like cherries or cherry coke, but I'd imagine it adding another level of sweetness and flavor. Depending on the meat you're using it on, it could be delicious!

C

courtneylynne09

Yup, I've used this lots of times! I like to mix it in a with a roast. So delicious and tender!

K

k.g.

This sounds really good. I would sautee some onions and garlic, add the coca cola and reduce it for a really long time. You'd end up with a syrup that would go so well with that ketchup. I think it would be super sweet, so I'd balance it out with some cider vinegar as well.

P

Pat

We used dr pepper instead of coke for a marinate before putting the meat on the grill. The results was awsome.

O

ohiotom76

I've never tried it, and it may work, but it seems like it would at least need some sort of Chili powder in it, and perhaps some Cumin to make it more like a "BBQ" sauce, and not just a ketchup-y tasting sauce.

I wonder if you threw in some Chipotle packed in Adobo if that would help add some needed depth and heat. And/or maybe some dashes of Liquid Smoke.

I have seen Rootbeer based BBQ sauces at my local stores, but I haven't tried them yet.

D

DDavies

I've made Coke BBQ sauce before. The base ration will be 3 cups coke to 1 1/2 cups ketchup. This is the recipe I used:

4 garlic cloves -- smashed and made into a paste with a pinch of salt added
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
3 cups Coke (or any cola)
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice

Combine all ingredients (except lime juice) in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 45 minutes. Once it has thickened, remove from heat and let it cool a little before stirring in the lime juice.

You can, of course, manipulate the recipe however you want.

W

Whitewolf2578

I just gave this a try and at first I was like "There is no way this can work" but I am shocked, it actually does work. I added some chili powder to it because I like sauces with a little bit of a kick to it. I bet it would be good if I mixed some hot sauce into it.

V

Viktor

I never would have thought to use soda in a sauce. Is it the sugar content that makes for a better taste? I'm not a fan of Coke, but maybe I could use Cheerwine or Dr. Pepper or something. Seems worth checking out.

E

evelynmcgregor

The coke barbq sauce sounds so good. I will have to try it the next time I grill..