Sauce Ketchup n Coke

B

btatro

My mom used to make her own "BBQ sauce" when she would run out. She would just mix Coca Cola into ketchup until it was the right consistency. Anyone else ever use this in a pinch?

M

MissPeggy

I can't say that I have. Actually I have never heard of mixing ketchup and coke to make up a BBQ sauce before? I will keep it in mind though. Can you use diet coke?

S

shaun

I have actually. I've seen Coca Cola used in barbecue sauce on a Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives episode. It's a simple combination and it will work because of the high sugar content.

D

dissn_it

I have used it several times and it is actually pretty good. The cola gives it a nice flavor without making it too sweet and the ketchup gives it the tomato flavor. It can also be added to so if you want a little kick, add some tobasco sauce. It is worth giving it a try sometime so if you do find your self in a pich you know what to do.

O

Olivia

That's so cool! I never heard of this before. I will definitely have it give it a try sometime. I always have ketchup and Coke in the house.

S

SEA81

I've seen some people do this, but I've never tried that. I have done my own variation though (in the crock pot). I took some All-Season and sprinkled it on chicken, put it in the crock pot with a can of Diet Coke and half a jar of barbecue sauce and it was soooooo good. I'm not a great cook, but this tasted like a restaurant meal.

J

Jessi

I've never done it with cola before. I do make my own quick BBQ sauces with ketchup and molasses sometimes without proper cooking and spices, just so I have something to use. I'll have to try it with Coke, though.

B

btatro

I can't say that I have. Actually I have never heard of mixing ketchup and coke to make up a BBQ sauce before? I will keep it in mind though. Can you use diet coke?

I think that you probably could use Diet Coke, because it is still sweet...albeit with artificial sweetener. Glad to see the interest on this. Not many people would of using soda as a BBQ sauce base. I like the idea of adding tabasco to mix to give it a bit of kick.

M

MsrCfsg

My mom used to make her own "BBQ sauce" when she would run out. She would just mix Coca Cola into ketchup until it was the right consistency. Anyone else ever use this in a pinch?

LOL are you serious? Thats almost as bad as my mom using jimmy dean breakfast sausage her Stove Top stuffing casserole. That really doesn't sound that bad tho. I'm going to have to try it to see just how it tastes. It sounds like it would be horrible, but you never know.

B

Balsamic

I've done a dutch oven pork butt on different variations of This concept. Try using Dr. Pepper, or Root Beer in place of coke. Mix it up more with additives to the ketchup & soda, spices, rubs, brown sugar, molasses, Karo. The possibilitiies are endless, yet as long as the flavor profile sticks to the basics it is fun to experiment.

V

Victor Leigh

Interesting combination. I think I am going to experiment with various other soft drinks and see what the result is like. Maybe even substitute orange concentrate for tomato sauce.

M

MelbLurker

...In theory, it sounds like such an off and disgusting idea.
I'm surprised actually that some have said they've even done it.

I guess I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it...

M

Mrs. Pirz

When we make cornish game hens at home I make it like my momma taught me :

Regular bbq sauece from a bottle emptied out over the game hens

Fill that bottle with coke, shake it up a bit to make sure it takes some of that sauce that sticks to the bottom of the bottle and pour over the game hens aswell.

Squeeze some fresh oranges over the chickes and pop in the oven.

We baste them with this same juice - its absolutely delicious and the coke adds a syrupy licorice flavor.

G

grillter

I've seen these condiments used together to marinate pork before it has been grilled. If coke is not available, you can also use Sprite or 7-Up as an option. Add some dash of black pepper to spice them up.

J

jblythe4

I love ketchup and I love coke so I am definitely gonna give this a try. I may have to throw some other seasonings but i'll try and keep it simple.

B

beckyv1265

I have used Lime kool-aid in a spice rub but never soda. I have also used lots of Beer. hehehe

B

btatro

When we make cornish game hens at home I make it like my momma taught me :

Regular bbq sauece from a bottle emptied out over the game hens

Fill that bottle with coke, shake it up a bit to make sure it takes some of that sauce that sticks to the bottom of the bottle and pour over the game hens aswell.

Squeeze some fresh oranges over the chickes and pop in the oven.

We baste them with this same juice - its absolutely delicious and the coke adds a syrupy licorice flavor.

Fantastic!

J

jblythe4

beckyv1265 get outta here! That sounds awesome! I've never even thought of that. Definitely going to have to try that.

I

Isabellas2007

That is something I have never used before, nor have I heard of it. I will have to remember this when I run out. Does it drastically alter the taste or not?

S

Svoboda

This has piqued my interest. What kind of ratio are we talking here? Does anyone have a recipe as I'd like to try it. I've honestly never thought about cooking with sodas before but it makes since as I've used wine and beer quite a bit.