Individual campfire meal recipe

pilgrimhobo

When I go camping with family or friends, I always resort to this recipe that I got from a friend who's a camp counselor down in Georgia. It requires a variety of ingredients and a significant amount of prep, but if you're camping out at a campground and you don't mind bringing a cooler and some supplies, then this is an excellent recipe to make. Plus, if you have picky eaters, then they can make their own!

You will need:
Raw chicken breasts (frozen are best): 1 per person
Bell pepper: 1 per 2 or 3 people
Onion: 1 per 3 people
Carrot: 1 per 3 people
Celery: 1 per 3 people
Potato: 1 per 1 or 2 people (I like a lot of potato--great filler for the meal)
1 can (10.75oz) of cream of mushroom soup per 2 people
Butter or margarine
Salt and Pepper to taste
Any other veggies you like
Aluminum foil (extra-wide heavy duty is best)

Prep is really simple. Chop everything into bite-size pieces.

Lay out a piece of aluminum foil that's about 15 inches by 20 inches or so, enough to wrap the meal up in. Grease the center portion, about 8 inches by 10 inches. Then put down about 1/2 a can of cream of mushroom soup and use the back of a spoon to cover the area you greased. Then pile on about one breast worth of chicken pieces on top of the soup. Then top with whatever vegetables you like, add salt and pepper to taste, and two tablespoons of butter broken up on top to keep everything moist and create a rich sauce. Then fold the foil into a packet and make sure you have a very tight seal on the sides and on top. I recommend double-wrapping it for safety in the fire. Then make sure everyone remembers which one is theirs, and drop them directly onto the coals. They usually take about an hour to cook through, though cook time varies by how hot the coals are. Sometimes gas will escape from inside and hiss, this is normal. Flip them over halfway through cooking. When finished, just open them up and eat.

L_B

I make something very similar to this but I have never done it with cream of mushroom soup before. It is always one of our favorite meals when we are camping. Next camping season I will have to bring along a can of cream of mushroom soup and try it this way. Thanks for the recipe! I am always looking for new ideas! :)

castiron

I take out the oven rack when we were going to be out in the woods. Small box with utensils, paper plates, seasoning, and sat on floorboard, the castiron dutch oven for soup beans, and cast iron skillet to fry potatoes. Biscuits or other items done before leaving or just use whole wheat store bread. Never thought of making meats on those work trips on farm, for firewood. I love your recipe be good for home oven bake in castiron or small loaf pans for me.

Reactions: L_B