Houston Barbecue Festival wows smoked meat lovers

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
Throughout the grounds of the Humble Civic Center Arena Complex, paper boats flew in the wind, sending precious samples of barbecue to the ground. Persistent puffs of wind wrapped around the 7th annual Houston Barbecue Festival on Sunday in Humble. The casualties were everywhere.

But there was plenty more where that came from. A sunny, albeit gusty day, greeted about 2,200 barbecue enthusiasts who patiently stood in line to sample the smoking talents of some of the area's best pitmasters. Brisket, ribs, sausage – smoked to lusty perfection – were provided by 30 top barbecue joints and smoked meat purveyor. The annual event, organized to showcase the Houston area's emergence as a barbecue stronghold in Texas, brought out pitmaster stars such as CorkScrew BBQ in Spring, Killen's Barbecue in Pearland, Harlem Road Texas BBQ in Richmond, Tejas Chocolate & Barbecue in Tomball and Tin Roof BBQ in Atascocita.

Full Story

Cappy

I have a cousin that has a team that competes there every year. I think his team is more into the drinking and family type event but they have placed a few times in the competition. I thought of competing when I was younger but BBQ for me is more of a laid back social event I never thought I would enjoy the competition so much.