Hot smoking salmon

T

talbot

I don't like cold smoked salmon. I did pick up a few gorgeous pieces of wild-caught salmon at the store today, and I was thinking of cooking it in the smoker tomorrow night. I could really use some insight on how to do this, though. Maybe I should make a rub, with paprika and brown sugar. What do you think?

T

talbot

I wanted to leave an update. I made the salmon tonight by brining it in the vacuum sealer's container (I ran out of time to brine, and then also to let it rest beforehand). I added a rub using brown sugar, garlic, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and ginger. Sweet mercy, it turned out well!

G

grillqueen79

That sounds really good Talbot and I don't even like salmon! Your post reminds me that I need to get the attachments for my Foodsaver soon. I don't have the ones that you need to marinate.

T

talbot

Thanks! I don't think that I would do this very often, because I like to smoke larger amounts of things, then freeze a lot of it for future meals. In this case, I have to go through cleaning everything, etc. and we had just enough for that one dinner. It was sure good, though, so I will keep it in my back pocket for future special occasions.

B

Ben

Right on, I love Salmon. Baked in the oven, over the grill, or even smoked! I'm with you though, that's gotta be a big clean up for a little fish like that. Maybe next time, you could smoke 5 or 10 filets! Then, you will have plenty of leftovers.

When smoking a salmon it's better to use charcoal because charcoal tends to give a BBQ-ish kind of taste while wood doesn't give anything of its own to the fish.

tiewunon

You might try a clean burning lump charcoal (which is wood) with a small amount of a mild smoking wood such as alder.

jolie

The most important factor in hot smoking is the type of wood used to smoke. Hardwood is considered by many to be the most important for this process, especially when using smoke to preserve fish. The ingredients in hardwood smoke act as a preservative, killing existing bacteria and limiting the growth of new bacteria.