Hoping to buy my first grill. Any advice?

BigPete

Hi folks!

I have recently bought a townhouse and am planning to get into the world of grilling. My whole life I have lived in an apartment and never had the opportunity to grill so I am fairly inexperienced with grilling and have no one to ask so I am hoping I can get some guidance on the forums in picking out my first grill. Feel free to correct anything I am going to say and fell free to give me any advice on how to go about this. Are there any specific models that I should consider? Thanks in advance!

Gas or Propane – I am a big fan of the added smoky flavor you get from meat cooked on charcoal grills and I would be getting a charcoal grill if there were no HOA regulations against it and the complex. I am guessing improper disposal caused some issues in the past. I don’t see the point of electric grills except to keep your home cooler by cooking outside. That said, my options are to go with gas or propane. From what I have read it seems most of these types of grill can be converted. Is that true? There is a gas hook up at the house but I have never worked with gas before either so I am hesitant to hook it up to the grill. I have seen a few trays where you add wood chips to mimic the charcoal or pellet grills. Do those actually work?

Size – I don’t have any kids or the room for large family gatherings so it makes sense to get a smaller sized grill – maybe a 2 burner. I will be living in Massachusetts so I will have to bring it inside during the winter as well since I have no shed to store it in so smaller is better.
New or used – I would prefer new but is there any merit in looking for used grills on craigs list or fb marketplace?

Budget – Strict limit on $500, would prefer somewhere in the $300-400 range. I plan on living at the townhouse for the next 5-6 years then moving into a larger home with a yard so I will upgrade the grill at that point so life span should be about 6 years. I would love to get one of those $2,000 models I have seen but it doesn’t make sense for me at this time. I am really out of my dept here but I don’t need any extras. All I need is a reliable grill surface that can easily cook for 2-5 people and wont break down too often in the next 6 years. I know there are hundreds of considerations that make up the price but I am really clueless here on what to look for to have an effective price range.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I like the Weber Genesis for gas grills. That is a bit out of your price range, unless you can find used, but you could look into the Spirit line. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/spirit-ii-series/
Weber tends to have a really good reputation. In six years you may have to replace some things like the heat defuser / flavorizer bars.

Most companies will either sell a grill as propane or natural gas, or have a conversion kit you can buy. Some natural gas companies will hook up the grill to their line for you.

You can buy various types of smoker boxes for extra smoke. I have never really used them, so I cannot comment on how well they work or what one to get.

tiewunon

BP,
I agree with what Jason says concerning Webers good grill, solid and usually at a decent price point.
However they are the one company that WILL NOT sell you a conversion kit to go from LP to NG or vice versa. However once again their is a work around to do it.
My nephew in Avon found a guy on Boston's Craigslist that rehabs Webers and resells them for great prices considering the models he sells. They have all new manifolds, cooking grates etc that maybe a route to go also.

BigPete

Jason great recommendations! I was looking at reviews for the Genesis and Genesis II. They score high and are highly recommended. Last night I also stumbled upon the Spirit II line which like you said is more in my price range.

Would you guys recommend a 2 or 3 burner grill if I go with the weber spirit ii?

Tiewunon, can you link me to your nephew's page on craigslist? I am a mechanical engineer so I may be able to figure out the conversion. If not, then I will see if I buy one from your nephew.

Thanks for the help!

tiewunon

BP,
He is not the seller. My nephew found the guy on "Craigslist Boston". Nephew says his adds alway advertise Weber grills for $1. You then click the link and usually 8-10 pics of different grills show up. My nephew picked up Weber Genesis 3000 "Red Hat" from the guy for $350. I paid new for one of those in 1997 $1100 US while stationed in Japan.
The work around is easy but would not discuss on a forum. You can PM me if/when you go that route.
Not sure what direction the burners run on the Spirit now. Back in the day they ran East/West (side to side) and if that is still the case if you intend to do any Rotis cooking I would go with a 3 burner. Ditto if you plan to do alot of indirect cooking.

BigPete

Tiewunon, Thanks for the explanation. I will look into whether I want to go forward with the gas hook up. Might also be against HOA rules that I cant get a gas pipe to the outside. Will follow up.

BigPete

Got the Beauty last weekend. Right on time for the Fourth!

I looked into the getting a gas pipe routed outside but it wasnt in the cards this time.