Sauce Homemade Quick BBQ Sauce

T

Thyme2

When I have no BBQ sauce in the house I usually make my own. I take 1/4 cup of ketchup, tablespoon of yellow mustard and 2 teaspoons of soy sauce. I usually taste it and add more of the mustard and soy sauce if it tastes like there is too much ketchup. My kids think it is BBQ sauce from the store.

H

hotcoals

That's an interesting (and easy) recipe. I never would have thought of combining those three, either. I'm really surprised that you don't add any sweetener to it. Which brand of BBQ sauce does it taste most like?

T

TopChef

I've never added soy sauce. I usually use Worcestershire sauce. I also add crushed garlic and brown sugar. If I have horseradish in the house, I add a dab of that, too.

J

jneanz

"Cheating" bbq sauce is made from ketchup, hot sauce and brown sugar. I have used maple syrup when there was no sugar in the cupboard. Though I can get away with mixing these ingredients in a bowl, I'd rather make it from scratch with tomato sauce, herbs and other ingredients. Cooking on the stovetop is better for me also.

E

evelynmcgregor

Such an easy recipe for barbq sauce. It seems I am always running out of barbq sauce, and this is definitly going to be worth trying. But maybe worchester sauce instead of soy sauce.

L

L_B

This sounds similar to the bbq sauce I make when in a fix but I always add brown sugar to mine because I like the sweet flavour. I have also added hot sauce on occasion if I am in the mood for something a little hotter.

O

oportosanto

We can cook perfectly, but no question that the sauce elevates the dish to another level. So thanks for sharing. ;)