Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
  • 1/2 cup cooking oil or olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 clove garlic crushed
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped dried marjoram
  • 1 teaspoon freshly chopped dried parsley
Mix together and use a crushed sprig of rosemary to baste the meat frequently.

B

Briquet

Thanks for the baste recipe; that sounds wonderful! I think it'd be good on just about any kind of meat but I immediately thought of using it on chicken.

T

TopChef

Nice. A great, basic marinade. Oil to moisturize the meat, lemon juice to tenderize. I didn't used to be a fan of marjoram, but lately I've come to appreciate the flavor. I am down with this marinade.

C

Charcoal

This baste recipe sounds good. I am pretty sure that the herbs add so much depth of flavor to the meat. I have never used the three herbs combined to baste my meat. I should give this recipe a go then.

B

Briquet

It's hard to beat garlic, lemon, and rosemary. I haven't tried adding parsley or marjoram but I will check it out, and I never considered using a sprig of rosemary to actually do the basting.

J

Juliette

Garlic is a no-no in our home, although I actually like it. No one else does, so we leave it out. Otherwise, the other herbs sound great. We use a lot of olive oil around here.

S

sheepdad

Marjorham is pretty good if you want a sweeter more aromatic taste than oregano. Nice on beef but i learned the hard way to use less than i would oregano if using it as a substitute. Could be just me but a little goes a long way. I like oregano much better unless im looking for a specific aromatic taste. The baste does sound good and will be something to try in the future for sure.