HELP PLEASE!!

Taaronbennett

I found a stainless Jennair Natural Gas grill on the curb in really nice shape. The piping underneath had a small leak, but I replaced the connectors and solved that problem.

My issue is that I can’t get this grill beyond 300 degrees. I’ve tried removing the regulator completely, and checked the orifices, which look clean and clear. Tried adjusting the flow control bolt on the tubes and I get a clean blue flame, it just gets really small when all 3 burners are lit.

I refuse to be defeated by this thing. What else can I do to get this thing running nice and hot?

tiewunon

When you found this grill did it have the gas supply hose installed? Normally the gas supply to your NG grill is regulated from your house gas supply line. When you mentioned regulator was wondering if by accident you purchased an LP hose and regulator and installed that.
If you can find the owners manual (online) it may mention proper orifice size. The serial number on the grill will tell you if the grill was an LP/NG grill at birth. Someone may have converted it before you stumbled upon it.
Not familiar with NEX grills but my AOG has an in-line regulator built in/on the underside of the grill. Whether you use LP or NG this regulator is in play.
  • For NG I have to ensure the proper orifices are used AND the stem inside the inline regulator is situated in the proper position/direction AND a NG supply hose is used (no regulator attached to this hose) hooked to grill and attached to NG connection on house.
  • For LP I have to ensure proper orifices are installed AND the inline regulator stem is situated in the proper position/direction (opposite of NG direction) AND an LP supply hose with regulator is attached to grill and LP cylinder.
Hope this helps.

Taaronbennett

It had everything with it when I found it. The regulator was connected to metal connector coming down from the inside of the grill. This metal connector I replaced because it was leaking. There is a grey hose that comes out from the regulator with a quick-connect to the gas line.

The paperwork and the serial number confirm it was 100% NG at birth. It looks unlikely that anyone ever tried to convert it to LP.

I've tried removing the regulator completely from the line, and no change whatsoever. This makes me think it has nothing to do with the regulator. Is there a way to test the amount/pressure coming out from the source?

Can I connect a water hose to the internal plumbing and flush it out, or will that just rust everything?

tiewunon

Do not flush it out with water.
I suspect your issue is at the gas supply from your house. I do not know how to measure that. I would call a gas appliance repair guy. He would have the equipment to measure the gas pressure and the knowledge to adjust the pressure to your outlet.
I commend you on saying "grey hose" that tells me you have the proper hose for NG.
One piece of low hanging fruit not mentioned did you look at the burner tubes toi ensure no spider nests etc?

Taaronbennett

I pulled out the burner tubes to check for any obstructions, and they are very clean. I didn't pull apart, but I did inspect the orifices and they appear clean and clear.

I think you may be right, and it might be something from the source. The outlet is kind of a rusty old thing sticking out of the house that appears to have never been used (built in 1996). It was capped off and had a shutoff valve, but maybe there is rust built up inside?

tiewunon

I think you should get a local gas tech out. He will break out his manometer and test the water column. Me I am pretty handy but my Navy ORM training that I sum up in one question "Will it hurt" unfortunately I answer yes because if I screw up puts the family at risk. So I would defer to the pros from Dover. Plus it will be money well spent knowing you are getting the proper pressure to your grill and the tech wilk make sure your house gas line is intact with proper fittings
I do hope you get this grill up and running and get some cooking in.