• The bbqgeeks forum is moving to a new server! Posting will be closed until the move is complete.

Hello from NC

foxman

Hey all, I have been studying up on a pellet verses gravity charcoal smoker. I have used a charcoal smoker on a chargriller and am wanting to get something with a way to set the temp and walk away so to speak. I am afraid, I am very much a novice griller and wanted to join a forum where I could learn about grills and recipes. I tend to be a bang for the buck buyer. The Masterbuilt 560 seems to be big enough, but I am hoping to learn more about the best options. Glad to have found this place.

tiewunon

Foxman welcome aboard. You have a third option but don't know if you ruled it out yet.
  • Something like a Kamado or even a Kettle with a temperature controller such as a BBG Guru, Flameboss, Fireboard et al which would work on a Kamado or Kettle or a Smobot which would work on a Kamado only.
  • Initially alot of hype on the 560. Some happy folks with the unit, some not so happy. Most of the unhappiness centered around build quality. Not seen anyone knocking the unit on the finished product it produces.
  • What pellet grills you looking at?

foxman

Foxman welcome aboard. You have a third option but don't know if you ruled it out yet.
  • Something like a Kamado or even a Kettle with a temperature controller such as a BBG Guru, Flameboss, Fireboard et al which would work on a Kamado or Kettle or a Smobot which would work on a Kamado only.
  • Initially alot of hype on the 560. Some happy folks with the unit, some not so happy. Most of the unhappiness centered around build quality. Not seen anyone knocking the unit on the finished product it produces.
  • What pellet grills you looking at?
I'm not too familiar with the Kamado or Kettle style. I'll check into those. The brand that made me even aware of temp controlled smoking was Traeger and that was an add on a sports talk show I listen too. But probably the pellet that intrigues me is a pit boss, though I have seen some really good deals on the camp chef.
Funny you mention the quality on the Masterbuilt, I have been watching some youtube reviews and that has come up with the thin metal material used. I found a unit that is 6 months old selling for $375, but I don't know if I've learned all I want to yet.

tiewunon

- I have heard some good things on Pit Boss and the Camp Chef "Woodwind" series.
Yes most gripes on the Masterbuilt center around the following metal construction, the matetial used as heatshield that mastetbuilt calls firebrick which is not firebrick and some of the controller connections.
- I have a few Kamado's hanging around and 5 controller (BBQ Guru dx2, Flameboss 200, Fireboard V1, Fireboard V2, and Smobot). If you have any questions I might be able to help. BTW longest cook I have had on a Kamado with a controller (Smobot) was 31hrs and 8mins..