Gumbo Verde(green gumbo)

J

jneanz

Wow, I was expecting to see another file' recipe. That is really green,the meats and veggies make it look good. Usually I take a package of Cajun Magic and add okra, sausage, and seafood but I'm going to have to learn to do this from scratch.

R

rayne

I want to come visit you Cappy. You make the best looking dishes. I love gumbo and especially the okra. I lived in Denver, Co. many years ago and back then, they didn't know what okra was. Can you believe it?

Cappy

Where are ya now Rayne can you grow okra. It is a hot weather plant and thrives in the summer wen other things give up.

T

Tessa

Oooh, now I'm curious what kinds of greens to add! Will anything do? Or is there a certain kind of mix that would work best? I definitely want to try this one out.

Cappy

This was typically made from what ever greens ya had growing. Any thing works and will alter the taste slightly. The trick is use what you like which is usually what you have growing. any loose leafed green and I have had it with cabbage as well.

D

DipsyDo

Where are ya now Rayne can you grow okra. It is a hot weather plant and thrives in the summer wen other things give up.

Born and raised in North Carolina Cappy. Raised on okra all my life until I moved to Colorado and couldn't find it. I did manage to have a little garden in the back yard and raised my own. I'm back in the south now and have access to all the okra I want.
:clap2:

Cappy

Happy for ya .... that is if ya happy:p I was gonna offer to send ya some seeds of our long horn okra.

B

Burnt

I have never had this before but after reading that I think I want to roll my sleeves up and give it a go. It looks pretty interesting and I really don't think I could mess this up if I tried.

Cappy

It's the way folks usta cook with a vague recipe to use what they had on hand. My daddy usta say if you do not over season it or burn it you cna fix it.