Grilled Mahi Mahi

P

prescott911

Grilled Mahi Mahi light glazed with crushed cayenne pepper olive oil and with chopped basil. w/Lemon and a grilled pepper slice
- Sides: Bruschetta Bianca (oven toasted Bruschetta with extra virgin olive oil, rubbed with garlic and lightly sprinkled with salt, the garlic and olive oil really compliments the fish)
Grilled Eggplant
Fresh Ciabatta bread slices
IMG00079-20120321-0031.jpg

D

dissn_it

I have only had Mahi Mahi one time but I really did like it. It was in a restaurant so it wasn't grilled. Your looks really good. I'll see if I can get some here locally so we can try to grill it at home. We finally have a fresh fish market, now! I should be able to find it there.

S

soulglazed

I love Mahi Mahi, one of my favorites, good job on the dish! Not the best picture to see when I'm starving like I am but oh well! :p

E

evilmanikin

how did you get it chared so well without it falling apart? is the skin on?

F

FireBrick

To be honest, I haven't tried Mahi Mahi so I had to look it up on Google. The recipe looks appetizing. I'm glad that the fish can be paired with grilled eggplant. I am a grilled eggplant fan.

V

Victor Leigh

To be honest, I haven't tried Mahi Mahi so I had to look it up on Google. The recipe looks appetizing. I'm glad that the fish can be paired with grilled eggplant. I am a grilled eggplant fan.

I was wondering what Mahi Mahi is. Now you have saved me the need to google for it. Yes, it looks good. Personally I prefer fish grilled with the skin on it. Kind of keeps the juices inside.

E

evilmanikin

mahi mahi is what they renamed the fish called dolphin to make it sound more apetizing

J

Jessi

mahi mahi is what they renamed the fish called dolphin to make it sound more apetizing

Not quite. It's actually also known as "dolphinfish" which is where the confusion would come from, but it -is- a fish and not related to the mammal dolphin at all. Because of the confusion, using the name "mahi mahi" is definitely the better route.

mahi_mahi_fishing.gif

E

evilmanikin

thats what i mean its not really dolphin lol the sport fish named dolphin. they are really fun to catch btw

J

Jessi

thats what i mean its not really dolphin lol the sport fish named dolphin. they are really fun to catch btw

Calling it just "dolphin," though, is the same reason they call it mahi mahi instead, ha. It confuses people and unless you're around the places where this fish is caught or are overly familiar with fish, you're going to assume people mean -real- dolphin, hehe.

I

Isabellas2007

Looks like a great tasting meal to me! I would love to try it! What kind of spices did you put on it?

P

prescott911

I have only had Mahi Mahi one time but I really did like it. It was in a restaurant so it wasn't grilled. Your looks really good. I'll see if I can get some here locally so we can try to grill it at home. We finally have a fresh fish market, now! I should be able to find it there.

I live in the suburbs of greater Boston. So, I actually got this at a regular supermarket (Stop N Shop same as in Family Guy). On their list of fresh caught fish they had Mahi Mahi, but I never ever saw it actually on display in the "fish/seafood section" so I asked somebody if they had any in the back and of course they didn't but they found me some frozen Mahi Mahi, which is what you see above.

It was really amazing, I have only had fresh Mahi Mahi in restaurants no more than a handful of times, so I if there was a difference I couldn't tell. I feel like it was about $9.99/lb.

P

prescott911

how did you get it chared so well without it falling apart? is the skin on?

I use Pam, specifically their grilling spray and when I preheat my grill I let it go up to 600-700 fahrenheit and then spray it for a good cleaning. Then I do a true preheat after my thorough cleaning that is no more than 400 degrees. This is how I get the eye-ppealing (appealing to one's eye, haha) char. After that initial char I bring the temp down to 350-370 degrees for thorough through and through cooking. I cook it for quit a bit of time because I like my fishmeat (especially well in comes to Mahi Mahi) very tender and with slight moisture, just how I like my steak. Because I consider Mahi Mahi to be the steak of the ocean.

God, I love Mahi Mahi.

P

prescott911

I use grilled eggplant with almost every meat/fish I grill. The olive oil, salt and pepper and generally simplicity of the grilled eggplant bring out and really compliment the flavors of everything I grill them beside, chicken, steak, salmon, mahi mahi and I even put and individual slice of the grilled e-plant on the bottom portion of my hamburger buns.

I haven't had propane for my grill in 3 weeks! I don't have a car right now and my cousin won't drive me to get any propane! IM GOING THROUGH GRILLING WITHDRAWAL!!

P

prescott911

Not quite. It's actually also known as "dolphinfish" which is where the confusion would come from, but it -is- a fish and not related to the mammal dolphin at all. Because of the confusion, using the name "mahi mahi" is definitely the better route.

mahi_mahi_fishing.gif

I think its one of, if not the MOST, beautiful fish in the ocean. Especially while they are still under the water, because of the shimmer, shine and gleam their scales cause. I believe this one is a male because his tall and elongated "forehead".

P

prescott911

I would love to have the opportunity to one day catch my own fish and grill it right up!

P

prescott911

Looks like a great tasting meal to me! I would love to try it! What kind of spices did you put on it?
I have usually kept it pretty simple. I either marinade it for a very short period of time (1-2 hours, because of hunger) or will use a marinade brush to get it moist and keep it moist whilst it grills.

With either method I use; extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, crushed red pepper, salt along with a tablespoon of A1 sauce and 2-3 tablespoons of sweet carolina bbq sauce.