Grandma's veggie soup

B

BBQueen

For a great low calorie vegetable soup toss all of the following in a crockpot or stock pot:

1 rutebega, chopped
1 large can stewed tomatoes
1 can or 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 head of cabbage
1 onion
3 large carrots chopped (or large handful of baby carrots)
3 potatoes, diced
2 stalks celery
Oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste

Cook all of this for a few hours and it is delicious. As a side note you can add pasta if you want. I also tend to add either kidney beans or cannelini beans.

F

FireBrick

It seems like I have tasted a similar soup recipe at an acquaintance's house. It had almost all the ingredients you listed. It was simple but tasted great. I also like the idea of adding pasta to it. My family loves pasta, so I bet they will appreciate this recipe.

D

dissn_it

I'll have to give this one a try. It sounds like it would be a really good soup with the beans added in. We don't care for the mixed vegetables much so I'll have to add fresh green beans and corn instead. Thanks for sharing it.

M

Mrs. Pirz

This seems like a great soup to add just a few noodles in when you're a bit under the weather and let it warm your insides. Very hearty and homey recipe - love it!

B

bigal3

I make a similar veggie soup but I sometime add diced seasoned chicken to it. The chicken adds another dimension to the soup. It is especially good to serve around flu season.

J

Jenine

I didn't know Grandma liked vegetables....lol. :D This is a great recipe especially on cold days. One summer my mom made a vegetable stew, but added a little bacon to flavor it bit. She used corn, carrots, peas, lima beans and seven red potatoes. It was good. This is coming from someone who's a meat eater.