Dutch Oven Cooking

P

Pete

I hadn't thought about using the Dutch oven over an open fire or even on a grill. I suppose those pretty colored ones would not be the best choice for that kind of cooking. I need to go shopping.

B

beckyv1265

The pretty colored ones are usully cast aluminum and they also work well. I just prefer the cast iron over an open flame. Some are enamel cookware. I say use whatever you have in your camping gear. I found most of my cast iron at garage sales and second hand shops . Flea markets also are great places to look. Just remember to season them well.

S

shaun

That sounds good, I am going to have to look it up.

It is wholesome and tasty, here's the recipe I use:

Brown stewing steak in butter, remove and add to a liter of stock. Simmer until the meat is tender. Fry 3 finely chopped onions in butter while the meat is simmering , add 4 cloves of chopped garlic, chilli, cayenne, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, thyme, 4 large peeled and pureed tomatoes, mushroom, carrots, sliced peppers and 250ml of the stock - simmer for around 10 minutes. Add the vegetable mixture to the meat with washed long grain rice, cover and cook until the stock has been absorbed. Finish with fresh coriander.

W

Waynefire

Dutch ovens are so versatile to use it is not funny! I know that I can cook any of the foods I normally would in them, but also can reduce the amount of dishes as well.

S

SmokeyJoe

I have three dutch ovens but I've only mastered the art of making peach cobblers. :) I'm really a novice at it but I'm going to venture out and try different recipes this summer.

M

makingloot

I have an ancient cast iron one I wouldn't trade for anything. lol I have acquired a large amount of cast iron cookware. It holds up better than most new pots on the fire. It is heavy thow so you will get a work out cooking. Jollof rice is often cooked in a Dutch oven. Jollof rice is a popular African rice and meat dish. You cook the meat in stock and then cook the rice in the stock with lots of vegetables and spices. Jollof rice is probably my favorite African recipe, very nutritious too.