Dutch Oven Cooking

X

xtinguish

How many of you guys dutch oven cook? Personally I love it, it's a little more work however the food comes out with such great flavor and I love to make peach cobbler in it. Basically the way you know food is read is when you can smell it from several feet away :D

I

Isabellas2007

I use a Dutch Oven to cook almost everything in. I do have to get a new one, though, because my older one is starting to break. What brand do you all recommend looking for?

T

Tecca_Nina

It is a method of outdoor cooking that utilizes hot coals underneath, on top of and sometimes along the side of pot called a Dutch Oven. It is a great way to cook when you are camping. Here's a link to some good information for you to learn more about it: http://usscouts.org/cooking/cook_05.asp

Thanks for the link. Surprised that I've never heard of this before. Would you say it adds a different taste to what you're cooking?

B

beckyv1265

I have an ancient cast iron one I wouldn't trade for anything. lol I have acquired a large amount of cast iron cookware. It holds up better than most new pots on the fire. It is heavy thow so you will get a work out cooking.

D

dissn_it

Thanks for the link. Surprised that I've never heard of this before. Would you say it adds a different taste to what you're cooking?
I think it does only because you are in the great outdoors and everything seems to taste better when you are camping. :)

I use a Dutch Oven to cook almost everything in. I do have to get a new one, though, because my older one is starting to break. What brand do you all recommend looking for?
I have an old cast iron one that I have used for years, I would hate to ever see it break. I would try to find another older one!

T

Tecca_Nina

I think it does only because you are in the great outdoors and everything seems to taste better when you are camping. :)

Haha, good point! Definitely going to try this out sometime. I love using new techniques.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I love cooking in it. I do not get to use it as often as I would like, but enjoy it when I do. Things like chili always seem to come out better in a Dutch Oven.

C

Clarence Schreiber

My mother used to do it when I was a child but I never have done it.

T

Tecca_Nina

Another question. What would you recommend as some of the best foods to cook using this style?

B

beckyv1265

We went camping this weekend and I cooked a big pot of ham and cabbage soup. I made a breakfst hash. We also had chili with beans. I Cooked rice and chick peas. I also roasted some chicken and made a chicken salad. I used it as an oven and made some corn bread and biscuits. We made brownies for dessert. I have several cast iron dutch ovens. Once you heat them up they have such a nice even heat.

B

beckyv1265

Here is a the chili recipe.
Ingredients:
2 lb. ground beef
4 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp each - Worcestershire sauce, cocoa, ground cumin, oregano, salt, sugar
1/2 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
1 large onion
1 large sweet pepper
1-1/2 Tbsp chili powder
4 cans kidney beans
3 cup canned diced tomatoes
1 can spaghetti sauce
Chili flakes optional
Instructions: Preheat dutch oven to 325 degrees.
Heat oil.
Brown ground beef.
Add onion and cook until it turns clear.
Add all ingredients except kidney beans.
Lower heat to 250 degrees.
Simmer 1 hour covered.
Add kidney beans.
Cook 1 hour uncovered.

Serves about 6

B

beckyv1265

Here is a great cornbread recipe.
Ingredients: aluminum pie tin
1 cup corn meal
3 tsp baking powder
2 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup milk
Instructions: Preheat dutch oven to 350 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients.
Mix in shortening and egg.
Mix in small amounts of milk until it becomes a batter.
Pour into pie tin.
Bake about 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

dutchoven_cornbread.jpg

B

beckyv1265

Baking powder biscuits.
Ingredients: 2 Cup sifted flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp butter or shortening
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
Instructions: Heat dutch oven to 400 degrees with 3/4 of coals on top.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl.
Cut in small pieces of shortening or butter.
Add milk gradually, stirring until soft dough is formed.
Turn out on slightly floured board and lightly knead for 30 seconds, enough to shape.
Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut with open end of tomato paste can.
Place in single layer in dutch oven.
Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Makes about 2 dozen small biscuits.

B

beckyv1265

My breakfast hash.
Ingredients:
1 lb. spicy pork sausage ground
1 bag hash browns ( I grate myself) You can get them frozen as well.
12 eggs
1/2 lb. cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
2 Roma tomatoes
1 bunch green onion
1 bunch fresh cilantro
sour cream
1 jar mild salsa
Instructions:
Grate cheese.
Grate hashbrowns
Grate onions and garlic
Preheat dutch oven to 325 degrees
Brown sausage
Stir until sausage is cooked
Add onions cook til tender
Add hash browns.
Stir and fry until hash browns are browned.
Then add Garlic so it doesnt burn
Remove from coals.
Mix eggs and pour over top of potato/sausage base.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cover D.O. and add coals to the lid to cook the eggs from above.
When eggs are cooked, sprinkle cheese, cover and cook for 5 minutes to melt cheese.
garnish with fresh tomatoes and salsa. I also love to put sour cream and fresh cilantro on mine.

P

Pete

I've never used a Dutch oven, but the above recipes sound good enough for me to want to go out and buy one. I've noticed that some Dutch ovens are colored on the outside. Is it best to avoid ones with color, or do they work just as well as the old black cast iron?

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I've never used a Dutch oven, but the above recipes sound good enough for me to want to go out and buy one. I've noticed that some Dutch ovens are colored on the outside. Is it best to avoid ones with color, or do they work just as well as the old black cast iron?

I use Lodge which is not covered and is cast iron. I've never used a colored one. But I like to be able to put mine over an open flame and not have to worry about the color.

S

shaun

Jollof rice is often cooked in a Dutch oven. Jollof rice is a popular African rice and meat dish. You cook the meat in stock and then cook the rice in the stock with lots of vegetables and spices. Jollof rice is probably my favorite African recipe, very nutritious too.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
Jollof rice is often cooked in a Dutch oven. Jollof rice is a popular African rice and meat dish. You cook the meat in stock and then cook the rice in the stock with lots of vegetables and spices. Jollof rice is probably my favorite African recipe, very nutritious too.

That sounds good, I am going to have to look it up.