Do you like brick oven pizzas?

P

piggypie

We have two restaurants in our town that cook brick oven pizzas, and we can't stay away. The crust is just so much better cooked that way. I wish I had some way to do this at home. Is there a way? What is your favorite pizza?

J

joshposh

That is a cool little project. Building a brick oven in the backyard would look cool to have and a show piece. But you need to ask yourself how much are you actually going to use it, as opposed to making a fire pit that could double as a grill and barbecue pit.

Here are some pictures of a buildable brick oven.

P

piggypie

That's absolutely beautiful! I want an outdoor hearth so much! Maybe if I give my husband the added advantage of cooking pizza, he will get serious about building me one. Any ideas about where to get the plans?

S

SparkFire

Brick oven pizzas can be good, but they are so frequently overcooked that I'm not in a rush to order them. If I had my own brick oven, like the one above, I bet I could do a better job.

jsaras

The Kamado grill and its cousins do not have adequate top heat and generally too much heat on the bottom. There are ways to mitigate the problems, but they're ultimately unsatisfactory.

I achieved pizza nirvana when I purchased my Blackstone propane-powered pizza oven. Most of these were baked between 3-4 minutes.View attachment 382View attachment 383View attachment 384

Attachments

K

Kenzie

That's a heck of an oven joshposh. If any of you have one of these, please invite over. I'd love to sit outside and cook pizza with you. I do know what you mean about determining how much it would be used. I bought a fire pit some years ago and have only realized it was a waste of money. I hardly ever use it.

tiewunon

If any of you are looking for a small portable wood fired (pellets) pizza oven to take camping or use in the appropriate location on your deck take a look at the Uuni or Uuni2. I have seen one of these in action its kind of cool.

Reminds me of one of my portable grills Woodflame Delecto which also uses a blower to get the temps to rise pretty high and keep the fire gong.

P

piggypie

Thanks for all of these great suggestions! I'm going to stop spending money at pizza places, and just pool it to buy one of the ovens you all are suggesting. I'm going to research each one, but I would like that big, pretty one, joshposh!

L

L_B

I only ever had brick oven pizza once. We were travelling and we stopped by this place that were known for their brick oven pizzas. We got the pizza and it looked really good. It was cooked nicely. I picked up a piece to have a bite and for some reason I looked at the bottom of it first. Good thing I did there was a great big moth cooked right into the crust. That kinda ruined it for me. I have never had one since.

C

castiron

We have two restaurants in our town that cook brick oven pizzas, and we can't stay away. The crust is just so much better cooked that way. I wish I had some way to do this at home. Is there a way? What is your favorite pizza?
The brick oven pizza has a toasted flavor the EASY BAKE OVEN style cannot match. Domino's has finally succeeded in tasting like fried bread as Pizza Hut whom I ceased ordering from. Either they hired a manager from Pizza Hut or other employee trained to use two ladles of oil in a deep dish pan. Or corporate did, to change procedure to increase cholesterol numbers. Neither will get my money for pizza. No one I know here uses a brick oven and real mozzarella cheese that strings as recall from my childhood til I was a new mom and had the last brick oven pizza before Giovanni's owner sold to cheap owner using imitation cheese and cutting sauce with sugar.
There are patterns for building a brick pizza oven in your yard as on patio. Hiring someone who can do masonry is possible. Maybe online could order a pizza stone to use in your oven to be close to that flavor. You have the right idea to doing homemade.

C

castiron

That is a cool little project. Building a brick oven in the backyard would look cool to have and a show piece. But you need to ask yourself how much are you actually going to use it, as opposed to making a fire pit that could double as a grill and barbecue pit.

Here are some pictures of a buildable brick oven.

If I had this in my backyard.....52 weekends a year for family day. And bake homemade breads to put into bread box during time pizza's cooking. Know my daughter would have her friends over more, then just for cookout with a fire-pit, if this were here at their small patio. Cozy for conversations.

C

castiron

The Kamado grill and its cousins do not have adequate top heat and generally too much heat on the bottom. There are ways to mitigate the problems, but they're ultimately unsatisfactory.

I achieved pizza nirvana when I purchased my Blackstone propane-powered pizza oven. Most of these were baked between 3-4 minutes.View attachment 382View attachment 383View attachment 384
I like the thin pizza with the thick edge crust of handmade doughs, I had worked in restaurants making pizza dough and do not know how places make it so even unless putting it through a machine somewhat like a pasta maker. I like the photos of your pizzas.

C

castiron

I only ever had brick oven pizza once. We were travelling and we stopped by this place that were known for their brick oven pizzas. We got the pizza and it looked really good. It was cooked nicely. I picked up a piece to have a bite and for some reason I looked at the bottom of it first. Good thing I did there was a great big moth cooked right into the crust. That kinda ruined it for me. I have never had one since.
If you did an online search of how much bug contaminates FDA allows in canned foods, that are cooked, you accept those did not kill you. If you have ate and got a gnat in your mouth and spit or swallowed, a cooked moth could have had pizza slice put aside or knife cut that area off. Not all bugs have the germ issues of roaches, mosquitoes and flies. Don't let the one incident affect enjoying wonderful pizza. To settle for common. Consider it?

C

castiron

Thanks for all of these great suggestions! I'm going to stop spending money at pizza places, and just pool it to buy one of the ovens you all are suggesting. I'm going to research each one, but I would like that big, pretty one, joshposh!
I love his photo of the patio pizza oven also. It reminds me of stories I enjoyed reading of village communities, and widow or widowers staying a part of that also having an income, when spouses death ended that source of income. To become the village baker or allowing others use of the oven to bake their own bread increasing friendships. Training children and grandchildren in a good skill usable in any location. Even, if they did not speak the language people could point to drawing or product already made to make additional orders. As tourist do still with people whom do not speak their language. Then have stories when they get home of the wonderful flavors. So, the possibilities in having a patio pizza oven for family to add skill. If not needing credit to accomplish the build be a motivation.

O

oportosanto

Pizzas are great and the best part is that we can make them healthy. Great picture of the oven true!

gsjjxa7382

Actually i oftn use brick method to bake pizza and and when we got the pizza and it looked really good. It was cooked nicely. guide at top knife kit guide I picked up a piece to have a bite and for some reason I looked at the bottom of it first. Good thing I did there was a great big moth cooked right into the crust. That kinda ruined it for me. I have never had one since.