Crock pot Taco Soup

G

grillin_n_chillin

I found a recipe for Crock pot Taco Soup on Food.com's website and I plan to try it out this week, after our next grocery shopping trip. Has anyone else here tried this recipe out?

D

DipsyDo

I have almost the same recipe and made a crock pot full this past weekend. The kids were coming over and it was cold outside so I thought what a great "mom" meal that would make. I served with tortilla chips, sour cream and shredded cheese and it was a big hit.

B

Briquet

I like the idea of taco soup, but that sounds a lot like chili, which I do not like. Is it different enough from chili that I should try it, or should I make myself an alternate meal when serving it?

G

grillin_n_chillin

Briquet - I have never tried this specific recipe, but I have tried a similar version in the past and it really doesn't taste like chili, nor does it have as thick of a consistency. If you like tacos, I would suggest trying it, but if you're not a fan of Mexican food period, I'd say make an alternate meal. ;)

H

Hilt

I have not tried that one myself but it is very similar to a friend’s recipe which I absolutely adore. If you time it right it works perfect on a lazy day, when we make the friend's recipe we use both chicken and beef and it is always eaten on our "lazy Sunday's".

G

grillin_n_chillin

Hilt - I like the idea of using chicken and beef together! If we hadn't recently stocked up on chicken breasts (they were drastically reduced because one of our grocery stores moved across town and didn't want to take any meat/produce with them) I would try that.

W

Whitewolf2578

All you need to do is make tacos and then put them in a pot and cook until they boil, is that what this is? Lol that would be awesome. When I make soups I usually just make some random soups with so much stuff in them that they really don't have a name.

O

ohiotom76

I haven't tried this particular recipe or a recipe similar to this yet, but just looking over the list of ingredients for it, I would be concerned about it being awfully salty - there's a packet of taco seasoning *and* a packet of ranch dressing mix? Both of those are usually loaded with salt and MSG to begin with. Granted there is some extra liquid from the canned ingredients going into the pot as well, but those too will have salt in them, unless you buy low sodium. I'm not too sure I would like the texture of this either, since I don't care for the slimy liquid from canned beans, in addition the dressing mix and taco seasoning have thickeners in them as well.

I've made "tortilla soup" in the past with leftover rotisserie chicken shredded, along with some beans and veggies. Then for the broth I just mixed chicken stock with some El Pato brand spicy tomato sauce. There is a Jalapeno (green can) and a Chile (yellow can) version - both are great, the Jalapeno one is a bit milder and fresher tasting and a wee bit sweeter, whereas the yellow can tastes like it was made with a blend of dried spicy chiles which have more heat to them.

G

grillqueen79

I make a version of this that just uses browned ground beef seasoned with chili powder and cumin then add beef broth, 2 cans of tomatoes with chilies, and a block of cream cheese. It's a simple quick meal that our family loves, and I have made it on the crock pot and on the stove.

C

cawfee

I like the idea of diced green chilies but I would have to pitch out the niblet corn. While I don't mind it no one else in the family will touch the stuff so it makes dishes like this a pain for me. Sometimes I will have it separate but they still give me grief when I eat it.

R

Red Boots

I do my taco meat in the crock pot, so it wouldn't be too difficult to change things up and turn it into a soup instead! Sounds quite delicious. I think it would combine nicely with some brown rice, too.

C

castiron

I like the idea of taco soup, but that sounds a lot like chili, which I do not like. Is it different enough from chili that I should try it, or should I make myself an alternate meal when serving it?
If it is the quantity of chili powder which dominates in Chili, and the red kidney beans. But like tacos, with refried beans?, make this once as is, if you don't like the white beans just use the pintos next time, modifying is part of cooking. I loved my soninlaws white bean chicken taco soup. And love my taco layered dinner salad, that is a whole meal on a plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

castiron

I like the idea of diced green chilies but I would have to pitch out the niblet corn. While I don't mind it no one else in the family will touch the stuff so it makes dishes like this a pain for me. Sometimes I will have it separate but they still give me grief when I eat it.
Do you mean when you make something just for you at dinner and something else for them? Make it and store portions in freezer, and eat at lunch when they are gone. My soninlaw and daughter cook extra in dinner meals, so I have something for lunch while they are at work. You could use the cook-ahead method, with the intention of single pint servings just for you.

C

castiron

I haven't tried this particular recipe or a recipe similar to this yet, but just looking over the list of ingredients for it, I would be concerned about it being awfully salty - there's a packet of taco seasoning *and* a packet of ranch dressing mix? Both of those are usually loaded with salt and MSG to begin with. Granted there is some extra liquid from the canned ingredients going into the pot as well, but those too will have salt in them, unless you buy low sodium. I'm not too sure I would like the texture of this either, since I don't care for the slimy liquid from canned beans, in addition the dressing mix and taco seasoning have thickeners in them as well.

I've made "tortilla soup" in the past with leftover rotisserie chicken shredded, along with some beans and veggies. Then for the broth I just mixed chicken stock with some El Pato brand spicy tomato sauce. There is a Jalapeno (green can) and a Chile (yellow can) version - both are great, the Jalapeno one is a bit milder and fresher tasting and a wee bit sweeter, whereas the yellow can tastes like it was made with a blend of dried spicy chiles which have more heat to them.
I enjoyed the white bean chicken chili, using rotisserie and the green Verde sauce. Is that something you have tried?

C

castiron

All you need to do is make tacos and then put them in a pot and cook until they boil, is that what this is? Lol that would be awesome. When I make soups I usually just make some random soups with so much stuff in them that they really don't have a name.
My aunt would do that She called it "Must Go Soup" using anything in the kitchen left before payday.

C

castiron

I found a recipe for Crock pot Taco Soup on Food.com's website and I plan to try it out this week, after our next grocery shopping trip. Has anyone else here tried this recipe out?
I have not had this recipe, it looks a lot like a white bean chicken chili my soninlaw makes, a lot of the same ingredients and some different. Sounds as good. He makes enough for three extra servings, one for my lunch and one for him and my daughters work lunch. Their large crock pot could make enough for freezer pints as of week cook ahead meals.

L

L_B

I have not tried taco soup before but after reading this recipe and seeing the picture I know that it is something that I definitely want to try. It looks so good. I would definitely make it with beef and chicken both. I love that combination.

D

Diane Lane

That does look a lot like chili, but I love chili, so that wouldn't stop me from trying it. I'll let y'all know if I try it. BTW, if y'all like thinner soup, you could try making tortilla soup. That often has a chicken base, and you can add in tortilla strips.

O

oportosanto

Well, I love tacos and I love soup, so this seems like an awesome combination. Looking like chili makes it even more appealing. :)