Corn Bread in a cast iron skillet

D

DipsyDo

When I make corn bread, I'll put the skillet in the oven and let it get hot. After coating with a thin layer of oil, I pour the batter in and listen to the sizzle. After the bread bakes, it has such a nice crispy crust. Does anyone else do this?

Cappy

Thats the way I was taught to do it. The way my family always did ti for at least 3 generations. heat pan and oil good and hot poor it ni and bake it will just fall out of the pan when done and the crust is great. We also take it out right before done and shave a stick of butter on top and put it back in to melt the butter. Crunchy on bottom and buttery and cake like on top. Any better eating the Lord kept it up there fo his self.:)

D

DipsyDo

You got that right Cappy. Fresh out of the oven is when it's the best. You ever dunked yours in a little glass of cold buttermilk? Oh my does that bring back memories.

C

Canbeef

I've never tried this but it does sound really tasty! What do you usually cook to eat it with? I'm thinking it would go great with grilled fish and greens.

D

DipsyDo

Pinto Beans cooked with a big ham bone and turnip or collard greens go very well with hot corn bread. My kids still talk about pinto bean Saturdays. We usually combined this with raking leaves or chopping wood on a cool November day.

T

Thyme2

Corn bread is yummy. The butter on the top must give it a really good taste. I've had corn bread with honey and loved it. We've also had it as our bread when we have stew. Much better than white bread or buns.

C

castiron

When I make corn bread, I'll put the skillet in the oven and let it get hot. After coating with a thin layer of oil, I pour the batter in and listen to the sizzle. After the bread bakes, it has such a nice crispy crust. Does anyone else do this?
I heat the lard or bacon grease from refrigerator til they melt on stove burner, 5 minutes, then pour batter into skillet with it sizzling, put into oven. Love that crisp crust while hot with milk poured over. Or to make Mackerel corn cake, does not need oil or water just an egg, I use 2 cups of Martha White self rising flour and two cups of Martha White self Rising cornmeal, onion very large onion diced. sprinkle with black pepper than stir batter. Serve in opened wedges with soup beans ladled over a wedge of onion or green onions. No complaints with this meal. Has a flavor of hush puppies, without the fat of frying.

C

castiron

Pinto Beans cooked with a big ham bone and turnip or collard greens go very well with hot corn bread. My kids still talk about pinto bean Saturdays. We usually combined this with raking leaves or chopping wood on a cool November day.
My daughter made scrambled eggs to go with fried potatoes and onions for breakfast. Love weekends, and family meals again. Grandma used to have family weekends 52 weeks a year from 1957 to 1976. Daughters obligations with work and college for master degrees changed the pleasure for life on the farm with a two hour drive back home and work and evening classes resuming. 20/20 hindsight, those promotions made more burdens, exhaustion and less family time, and breaches in support system. Song came out about that time: lyrics Cats in the cradle with a silver spoon, when you coing home Dad/Son I don't know when, but we'll get together then....mirrored that lost time for precious memories. No time for then. So, I am enjoying this Saturday, though no pinto beans, but got to talk about times of similar menu you wrote when she was a child. Nice, seeing your message to share that lighted memory. :)

I

idahawk

I preheat the cast iron as well , gives you a nice crust on the bottom , I use the grill when ever possible
e041e7dfcdafa85872f03e5b433aba51.jpg

This is a hatch chili cornbread I made last summer