Constant grease fires?

paqman

So I own a weber grill, can't remember the model at the moment. But I have a problem with cinstatvcknstant grease fire flare ups. We mostly cook chicken, but it's marinated in soy sauce, honey, and vegetable oil. Occasionally hamburgers. Hamburgers cause huge fires, with the grease coming off them, the chicken not as much. However I wonder if the chicken is causing the grease buildup in the first place. Now a few weeks ago I cleaned the grill out real good. The first cook after cleaning was fine. Second one maybe. But definitely hy the third cook it was flare-up city again! How do you guys combat this? Cooking burgers is a massive PITA because of this.

Bbqgeekincali

I suffered through this for years, with the hose on standby! Whilst obviously cleaning your grill out regularly is needed, here are a few tips:

Don’t be afraid of a little fire/flare up and don’t spray them away with water, move your items around and wait for the fire to burn out.

Prep your grill after or before every use, bring the grill to 400degrees and let any residual fat/oils/sugar flare up and burn out naturally. Scrub grates after fires burn out.

Try leaving a burner off and have a safe place each cook so that you can move items before they burn.

Try leaving off the flammable ingredients during the sear part of the cook and brush on the marinade at a lower heat later in the process. Even indirect heating at that point.

Flame is flavor so again let the flare ups happen and keep the grill cover down this will inhibit fires.

Don’t knock flames down with water unless it is an obvious black smoke almost full on issue.

Try dry rubs to start and again, marinades later in the cook.

Hope these tips help, I haven’t had a raging fire that requires a hose down in years.

Best of luck and happy grilling!

paqman

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I've never required a hose down yet. Usually I'm able to move things around, and then even blow out some of the flames myself. It just makes cooking some things extremely frustrating, how bad the flare ups are. Almost impossible to cook hamburgers. I mean I suffer through it lol. But I'm always moving them around to try to keep them out of the flames. I know a little flame is good for flavor, but they're going to char bad if I leave them, so I have to move them.

I've pretty much done most of the things you've mentioned, it is the worst when doing burgers, I'm not marinading them, it's just the natural geases, when flipping them it gets really bad. I've never sprayed water on any of the flames. I always prep the grill to 400 or even 500 before cooking to try to burn everything off, that's what the manual says. Although I don't get many flare ups during this process. It usually happens once the food and juices go on. Thanks again for the tips.

Bbqgeekincali

What temp are you grilling at? Sounds like you might want to bring it down if they are flaring up every flip. Try 300, and keep the lid down to starve oxygen. Also, I have heard some folks place a cookie sheet under their main cooking area to catch the dripping...GL