Cleaning off soot

O

Onatah

I have a set of cast iron pans that have a heavy layer of soot on the bottom of them.
I had a stove that was not set properly for the oxygen release or some such thing and it caused all of my pans to get sooty on the bottom. I cook mostly with cast iron. Now I have a new stove and these pans are just a hot mess! Short of having someone sand blast the bottoms, is there anything I can do to restore my favorite pans?

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I have heard a potato cut in half with some salt on it will clean off the soot.

I had bought some used cast iron that had some soot and other issues so I just burnt it off with a hot fire and re-seasoned. Not sure if you want to go that extreme.

O

Onatah

Trust me, I'm going to have to go extreme! I'm not talking just some dirty soot, I'm talking baked on THICK layers of soot that you could, literally, chip some off with a screwdriver or butter knife (yes, I've been that desperate). That's why I contemplate the sand blasting. Just didn't know if there was some cleaning agent or some magic natural thing I could just soak the outside of the pan with. Maybe I should try my pressure washer.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
You could try a pressure washer. If it is that thick I thin you will have to reason. Personally I would have a nice fire in a fire pit and burn it off. But I tend to go with any reason to start a fire in the pit.

Reactions: L_B
B

Butterflygirl2

I have a set of cast iron pans that have a heavy layer of soot on the bottom of them.
I had a stove that was not set properly for the oxygen release or some such thing and it caused all of my pans to get sooty on the bottom. I cook mostly with cast iron. Now I have a new stove and these pans are just a hot mess! Short of having someone sand blast the bottoms, is there anything I can do to restore my favorite pans?

B

Butterflygirl2

Hi there Onatah, I have heard that using flax seed oil and a brush will coat the cast iron and it is supposed to clean the cast iron and put a coating on there that will not wash off so your cast iron will stay in good shape. I have not tried that yet with my cast iron pots, but I am going to do that very soon. Hope it works out good for you.

O

oportosanto

Cleaning that off is not easy, but oil and a brush usually do the trick.