Classic BBQ sauce

G

grillqueen79

This is a recipe I found online for BBQ sauce, and this was my first time to ever make a homemade sauce. This turned out pretty good, and could definitely be your basic recipe that you tweek from time to time.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 3 cloves garlic crushed
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
Directions:
Blend onion and water into a puree. Heat a medium sauce pan over a medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is warm, pour in onion puree. Simmer until slightly browned. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly

L

LoveThatBBQ

That does look like it would be good to try. I'm always looking for different types of BBQ sauce to use when we grill so I'm glad that I checked this one out. I will be printing it so that I have it the next time I want to try something new.

G

grillqueen79

We get bored with having the same sauce over and over. I like this because you can change the flavor of it pretty easily if you want to.

H

Hilt

Personally I like it when the sauce has a little kick and tangy flavor too it. My better half tells me that its more of a super kick than a light nudge though.

B

Burg14

What is liquid smoke? It's not something I have ever heard of before. The recipe sounds interesting, but that is a lot of items for BBQ sauce. I guess I never really knew how many things go into the sauce.

H

Hilt

I had to learn about that one the hard way too. There is a place local to us that sells a few brands but a quick Google search found me "Figaro Hickory Liquid Smoke and Barbecue Marinade". I have never used this brand but I have tried a few others.

B

BCoven15

Definately going to use this recipe and put my own little tweeks in it. Actually already have most of the ingredients!
Thanks, and Ill let you know how it turns out and what tweeks worked!

J

Jessi

What is liquid smoke? It's not something I have ever heard of before.

"Liquid smoke is derived from actual smoke generated under controlled conditions from popular woods used for outdoor barbecuing and smoking."

I personally don't like liquid smoke usually, but if you want that smokey taste without a smoker, it gets pretty close.

J

James Dean

This is a good sauce to do. I never imagined that many ingredients for a sauce. What is the name of this Barbecue Sauce? I think I'm going to start on this on my net barbecue day. I do like experimenting with a lot of sauce. I get bored when I use the same one repeatedly. This would be my 9th sauce in total to the others. I hope my friends will like this new taste.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
What is liquid smoke? It's not something I have ever heard of before. The recipe sounds interesting, but that is a lot of items for BBQ sauce. I guess I never really knew how many things go into the sauce.

Like Jessi said, liquid smoke is pretty much water infused with smoke. Alton Brown will show you how to make it around 8-9 minutes into this video: