• The bbqgeeks forum is moving to a new server! Posting will be closed until the move is complete.

Choosing a smoker thermometer

Chief_Jeff

Hi everyone, I'm choosing a thermometer and after reading some reviews I understood that it's better just to ask someone. I am considering three models right now: Weber iGrill2, ThermoPro TP20, and Maverick XR-50. Does anybody have any of these?

Needmora

A friend of mine has Maverick. Had to use it last weekend and one of the probes wasn't reading right, off by 25 degrees compared to the other two at ambient temperature. Left it sitting with all three plugged in and it continue to read the same difference. I plugged an old one in from another company temp gauge (took a couple of my toys) and that one read right. So you have to check them against each other. I would pay more money for this one not a better quality product in comparison with the other two models. And why these three, exactly? Are other options acceptable? If I were you I would consider buying flameboss 300. The best thing among all BBQ staff I own.

jalapeno_jane

I have a different model - Maverick et732 - and sometimes when I sit in the house (about 40 ft.) it loses connection so I have to resync it.
Other then that it's a good product as it's running smoothly.

Needmora

I have a different model - Maverick et732 - and sometimes when I sit in the house (about 40 ft.) it loses connection so I have to resync it.
Other then that it's a good product as it's running smoothly.
Yeah, I looked through these sites recommending these models https://spammer/best-smoker-thermometer/. The funny thing about Maverick is that it's supposed to have the most reliable connection among all other options. I saw a report from the other guy who was testing iGrill 2 and according to the pictures all the probes (4 to be exact) temperatures were different