Sauce Chili Orange Sauce for BBQ

G

grillcharm

Before a picnic the other day, I saw someone put together a recipe that tasted great. You mix chili sauce, a little Sweet Baby Rays, barbeque sauce, hot sauce, grated orange rind (just a few dashes of this), and dark brown sugar. You can use this over any BBQ meat as a finishing touch for grilling. It adds a great flavor and I really enjoyed it!

L

LoveThatBBQ

It does sound like an interesting combination. I'll have to mix up some and give it a try the next time we grill. We are always up to trying new BBQ sauce.

J

Jessi

If it's just a few dashes of the orange rind, just how much does that flavor actually come through in the final sauce? It seems like all the other ingredients would really overpower it, so can you even taste the orange?

G

grillcharm

If it's just a few dashes of the orange rind, just how much does that flavor actually come through in the final sauce? It seems like all the other ingredients would really overpower it, so can you even taste the orange?

I say a few dashes because I consider orange rind really strong. Maybe that's my personal taste. You can of course add more. If you are grating the orange, you can grate as much as you like. Just don't do TOO much - you'll wind up with something similar to orange chicken. If that's what you're going for, cool, but otherwise I wouldn't overdo it.

R

R. Paradon

Where I live there are very few oranges but limes are always in abundance. I have always used the fresh juice but I imagine lime rind would be OK! "Sweet Baby Rays" is also not available here but I can find some others in one of the "foreigner" stores.

D

dconklin

This does sound pretty good, but I would probably squeeze an orange into it. I have never used the orange rind to cook and usually choose to use the orange instead. I bet this would be good on chicken!

S

shaun

Fruit juice and fruit works really well in barbecue sauce. I have tried chopped apple, cherries, apple juice, orange juice, lemon and lime juice. You can overdo it, though, I once used banana in my barbecue sauce and it ruined the taste.

Orange juice works well, it is sweet and fruity, without being overpowering.

G

grillcharm

Fruit juice and fruit works really well in barbecue sauce. I have tried chopped apple, cherries, apple juice, orange juice, lemon and lime juice. You can overdo it, though, I once used banana in my barbecue sauce and it ruined the taste.

Orange juice works well, it is sweet and fruity, without being overpowering.

These are really good suggestions - either squeezes an orange or adding orange juice. It's a good way not to overpower it. Thanks for posting these ideas!

S

shaun

These are really good suggestions - either squeezes an orange or adding orange juice. It's a good way not to overpower it. Thanks for posting these ideas!

You're welcome.

I usually finish my barbecue sauce with some freshly squeezed orange juice and lemon juice to add a sweet and slightly sour tang to the sauce. Grape juice is another juice which works well. Grape juice is very sweet but not overpowering in flavor.

S

soulglazed

Chili and citrus flavor goes amazingly together in my opinion. That's interesting about the grape juice, I'll have to try that sometime! Thanks for the tip. :)

L

Laurasav

That recipe really sounds super yummy. I'd definitely like to make up a batch. I like the suggestions of using orange juice instead of the rind too - easier is always a good thing. I hate grating stuff - too many broken nails and grated finger skin for me! Ugh! :(

B

beckyv1265

It sounds like the orange ginger wok sauce I get and then add the sweet asian chili sauce to it. Yum. I do add some fresh zest when I have it or dried orange peel.