Chicken Giblet Soup/stew...

B

bigal3

This an ls American Midwest and Southern United States chicken recipe handed down from my mother and from her father who was a professional cook in a large mid west hotel. Well here goes:
INGRIEDIENTS:
Chicken hearts
chicken liver
chicken gizzards
chicken drumettes (optional)
Green onions and/or common onions ( I prefer both)
finely shredded carrots
fresh finely ground garlic (I like a lot of garlic)
diced potatoes (optional but adds body and more flavor)
diced celery
In a large pan blend all of the ingriedients and add black pepper to taste, salt, fresh chopped basil, ground oregano to taste and bay leaf. Fill the remainder with water and place on stove or grill at medium heat until it comes to a boil then reduce heat to low medium and cook until meat is "falling of the bone tender". A word of caution though, as it cooks the aromas will make you crazy with hunger. Occasionally remove lid and stir gently to circulate the spices. Cook until meat on the drumettes is falling off the bone tender. Serve over white or brown rice or even egg noodles.

M

MissPeggy

I have to say this does sound really good. Well except for the chicken liver. I've never been able to eat that part of the chicken so I would probably live that out. Thanks for posting it.

S

shaun

Excellent recipe. I'm all for using ALL of the chicken and this is a great way of utilizing the less appealing parts. I would spice it up a little by adding cinnamon stick, dried chilli and star anise. I've found that whole spices take a chicken broth/soup to another level.

B

bigal3

I really like the idea of adding spices like "Anise" to the mix. It will give the dish a very appealing flavor.

J

Jenine

Sound excellent. I've been looking for a new chicken soup recipe for a while. However, I don't I ever had chicken liver or chicken gizzards before. Are they any good?

J

Jessi

However, I don't I ever had chicken liver or chicken gizzards before. Are they any good?

It really just depends on your tastes. The livers are soft, melt in your mouth often times, and come with a strong flavor. Gizzards are chewy and hard-ish, but don't taste like a whole lot usually. I personally absolutely love both. When I was a kid, I would request "lizards and gizzards" as a meal frequently because we'd fry them and they were soooo good, mm.

B

bigal3

Excellent recipe. I'm all for using ALL of the chicken and this is a great way of utilizing the less appealing parts. I would spice it up a little by adding cinnamon stick, dried chilli and star anise. I've found that whole spices take a chicken broth/soup to another level.
That's a great idea. I never would have thought of that. I'll have to try it your way next time. The flavor of the cinnamon sticks would take my recipe to another level of taste. Thanks for the idea.

D

dissn_it

This is similar to a recipe that I use sometimes but I have never tried using the giblets in it before. I usually use the thighs and then once the meat is cooked, remove the meat from the bones. I'll add the meat back into the pot and remove the bay leaves. Then I'll thicken the broth with either a rue or cornstarch mix. It is a really good meal.