I ran across this recipe for chicken enchilada soup in a magazine and it has fast become one of my family's favorite meals. Personally, I love anything you can throw in the crockpot!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 rotisserie chicken, about 4 cups shredded (no skin)
- 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- Two 28 ounce cans mild green enchilada sauce
- Two 10 ounce cans Mild Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers
- 4 cups cooked Spanish rice (I used 2 packages of Knorr Fiesta Rice)
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves for topping
- 1 bag tortilla chips for topping
- Heat oil in large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Transfer to a large 5 quart minimum crock pot with setting on low.
- Add shredded chicken to crock pot along with chicken broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, rice, cumin and sour cream. Stir and let cook on low for 4-6 hours