Chicken Enchilada Soup

G

grillqueen79

I ran across this recipe for chicken enchilada soup in a magazine and it has fast become one of my family's favorite meals. Personally, I love anything you can throw in the crockpot!

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 rotisserie chicken, about 4 cups shredded (no skin)
  • 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
  • Two 28 ounce cans mild green enchilada sauce
  • Two 10 ounce cans Mild Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers
  • 4 cups cooked Spanish rice (I used 2 packages of Knorr Fiesta Rice)
  • 3 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 8 ounces sour cream
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese for topping
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves for topping
  • 1 bag tortilla chips for topping
Directions
  1. Heat oil in large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Transfer to a large 5 quart minimum crock pot with setting on low.
  2. Add shredded chicken to crock pot along with chicken broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, rice, cumin and sour cream. Stir and let cook on low for 4-6 hours
Makes 12-16 Servings

G

grillin_n_chillin

This sounds really good, and I like how many servings it makes. This would be a great one for us to make and then freeze about half of it to eat later.

B

Briquet

I am not normally a big soup person, but this one sounds fantastic. I love Tex-Mex flavors and slow cooker meals are always useful to have.

M

MissPeggy

I've had this kind of soup before when eating out but have never tried to make it myself. This recipe sounds really good and not hard to make so I am going to give it a try and see how it comes out. :)

O

ohiotom76

This sounds fantastic. I suppose you could make it even faster if you use an instant rice, which only takes about 6 minutes to cook.

When I make something similar, I like to use El Pato brand spicy tomato sauce - it's sort of like a smooth salsa in a can, but it does have a slight bit of chunkiness to it as well. It's also got a decent amount of heat to it to spice things up. I know that some Dollar Tree's and Save-A-Lot sells it. Save-A-Lot also has a similar product under their store brand, Tio Santi.

W

Whitewolf2578

Sounds really good, I was looking for a soup to make this evening and I was in the mood for this. I used to work at a place that made really good Enchilada soup, they cooked it with Chicken and with Beef. I have always liked to cook soups because they are so much easier usually.

H

Hilt

I had a soup like this yesterday for lunch at a little cafe downtown. It was so good that I went home and made enchiladas for dinner. I just needed more of that amazing taste.

S

sthrnfriedchick

This sounds great and my family loves Mexican food so it will likely be a huge hit. I think I may make a double batch and freeze half of it because the cooler weather will be here before you know it.