Cast iron pan

B

Big Daddy Tug

I agree with buying used for two reasons;
1- already seasoned
2- old fashioned quality, Lodge makes a great product but I've never seen anything as durable or reliable as the old pans that I grew up with.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I agree with buying used for two reasons;
1- already seasoned
2- old fashioned quality, Lodge makes a great product but I've never seen anything as durable or reliable as the old pans that I grew up with.

Lodge is as good as you can get for new. However, at least for myself, Wagner is the best. But when someone knows what they have, it will cost you.

C

courtneylynne09

Lodge is as good as you can get for new. However, at least for myself, Wagner is the best. But when someone knows what they have, it will cost you.
I've never heard of Wagner. I'm going to have to check them out. Thanks!

B

Brittany Truskosky

My husband loves cast Iron pans and he is the one that taught me how to handle them. You have to oil them after each use and then heat them for a little bit. It's supposed to season them when you heat after oiling.

M

makingloot

I have a great cast iron skillet I found in the someone's trash by the side of the road. Sounds gross, but we restored it easily. They are so expensive new. We scrubbed it down and re-seasoned it. I've been using it for about 12 years now. Love it! Great for adding iron to your diet, too.

B

beckyv1265

I love my cast iron. I camp alot and have a full set including biscuit pans and bread pans. I love my Dutch oven for one pot dinners and baking in. We do all have high iron counts in our blood. At least we don't have to worry about anemia. lol

S

SMOKIN'-ROB

I have a extensive collection of cast iron that I started about 3 years ago. I started finding them at yard sales, and flee-markets. Then one day I stoped by the recycling center to recycle our old aluminum cans, and saw some there! I spoke with the owner, and have been buying any cast iron cookwear that comes in.
Then I have to go through the process of cleaning, and reseasoning. This can take time (depending on the condition). But once it is finished, you have something that will last you a life time, with just a little care.
"You would be surprised at how much gets thrown away".

B

beckyv1265

I have a extensive collection of cast iron that I started about 3 years ago. I started finding them at yard sales, and flee-markets. Then one day I stoped by the recycling center to recycle our old aluminum cans, and saw some there! I spoke with the owner, and have been buying any cast iron cookwear that comes in.
Then I have to go through the process of cleaning, and reseasoning. This can take time (depending on the condition). But once it is finished, you have something that will last you a life time, with just a little care.
I found a lot of mine at garage sales and flea markets as well. I am always looking for cast iron.

C

courtneylynne09

My husband loves cast Iron pans and he is the one that taught me how to handle them. You have to oil them after each use and then heat them for a little bit. It's supposed to season them when you heat after oiling.
I thought you had to only oil them every few months or so?
And I heard that you don't wash them with soap because it can ruin them.

C

courtneylynne09

Wow! I can't believe people would just throw cast iron pans away! Especially with how much they cost! You would think they would at least give them to someone who could use them.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I've never heard of Wagner. I'm going to have to check them out. Thanks!

Wagner is no longer in production. Same with Griswold. Both are really great if you can find them. They stopped producing around the mid 1900's though. They have become collectibles, so if someone knows that they have they will want some money for it, especially the rarer stuff. But I think they have made some of the best, if not the best cast iron cookware.

N

Nakhash

I live in Appalachia KY and cast iron skillets are pervasive. We use them for a lot of different cooking techniques, including making cornbread. It gives it a really good crunchy crust.

After every use I wipe mine out, rub some cooking oil inside with a paper towel, then place in a hot oven for about 15 minutes. I turn the oven off and remove the pans once cool.

We've had ours for the last 3 generations.

C

courtneylynne09

Wagner is no longer in production. Same with Griswold. Both are really great if you can find them. They stopped producing around the mid 1900's though. They have become collectibles, so if someone knows that they have they will want some money for it, especially the rarer stuff. But I think they have made some of the best, if not the best cast iron cookware.
Ah, okay. That would be why I hadn't heard of them then. Thank you for the information. I am definitely going to have to keep my eye out for them.

P

Pocs

Lodge is a great cast iron pan. Good cast iron pans are a bit costly, but worth the investment and can be used indoors and outdoors. I do have a tip. As mentioned in other posts, if you cure or season them they will last a lifetime. For those who don't have it in there budget to buy a new one, I have 2 words for you. Yard Sale. Yes yard sales. If you know what you are looking for you can pick them up for little to nothing. Older cast iron cookware have numbers on the backside, I always look for a 2 or 4. To be honest I am not sure what the numbers mean, it was something my mother told me to look for. Older ones do not have makers marks. The blacker the better, the more build up on the sides the better. Just take them home, give them a wash with a damp cloth. Everyone knows you do not put cast iron in the kitchen sink. Plus you shouldn't have to cure or season it much..

J

JohnB

We threw away every non-stick or coated pan and pot we had a few months ago, replacing them with stainless steel and cast iron. We finally read too many articles about the negative effects of those coatings.