Cast Iron grill pan

G

grillqueen79

I got my husband a cast iron grill pan for Father's day and he absolutely loves it. I was pretty sure that it would be a hit, but I didn't expect him to use it every night this week! I am not complaining though I love a night off from the kitchen! :)

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
If taken care of, they will last a lifetime and then some. Glad he is enjoying his.

N

nene5

I have been thinking of getting one. My grandma and my parents always seem to have one around the house. The meals were so yummy when cooked in them.

M

Mrs. Pirz

My husband has 2 and he wouldn't trade them for anything. They do last forever and can be used to make numerous things. My husband seasons his on his own instead of buying them pre seasoned. He never washes it either, just wipes everything off of it with a clean kitchen rag until the pan is fully wiped out and stores it back in the oven.

I

Isabellas2007

You just have to make sure you oil them properly to keep them around for years to come. I know I just got some from my in-laws which were handed down from their parents.

S

SarahLizzie

The ones I use at home are great. Actualky they were passed down from my grandmother.
Unfortunately the ones we have in the kitchen I work in have not been taken care of properly. In this condition, they provide the worst cooking experience imaginable.

S

SmokeyJoe

Glad he's enjoying his cast iron grill. That thing will last forever if taken care of properly. The nice thing about the grill is that you can take it camping too and use it over a camp fire.

P

Parker

I have some cast iron skillets that my grandmother used. I love them. I can't imagine cooking in non-stick cookware. I would love for them to continued to be used after I pass away, but I don't have any kids.

T

TheMaster

I have two of them, and I try to use them when I can out on the grill for I dont make a mess in my house. Or smell it up.. For example bacon :)

S

Svoboda

I've actually been looking into picking up some Lodge cast iron ware. What do you folks do to season yours?

C

Cowboy

Svoboda, I season mine with a little Crisco or, sometimes, just some cooking spray. Rub it in real good and wipe it down and it's good to go.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
I've actually been looking into picking up some Lodge cast iron ware. What do you folks do to season yours?

Bacon, and lots of it. ;) I usually do one or two cooking sessions with bacon, and about a month worth of greasy foods. I will also save bacon grease and just coat it with that a few times when the cast iron is hot.

S

Svoboda

Thanks for the replies. I had been told you should do some elaborate oil jazz. I think I'm finally going to make the jump and pick up a piece or two and see how it works for me.

N

novasparker

I was wondering about the seasoning part of owning one of these...I have always wanted to get one, but have been afraid that I wouldn't season it right. We love bacon in this household, so I don't think that seasoning it would be a problem. I also hadn't thought about putting it on the grill before...going to have to check that one out for sure.

S

shaun

I was wondering about the seasoning part of owning one of these...I have always wanted to get one, but have been afraid that I wouldn't season it right. We love bacon in this household, so I don't think that seasoning it would be a problem. I also hadn't thought about putting it on the grill before...going to have to check that one out for sure.

You should not have a problem seasoning your cast iron pan if you love bacon. I use bacon lard to season mine, it's easy and doesn't take too long. The extra time it takes to season the pan is well worth it and it will save you money in the long term because you will not be buying those stupid non-stick pans which lose their 'non-stick' after a few months.

S

SmokeyJoe

I'll spread a light layer of Crisco on a new skillet and the placed it upside down in an oven at 450 degrees. I leave it there for about two hours, turn off the oven and leave it there until the oven cools to room temperature.

S

Svoboda

I'll spread a light layer of Crisco on a new skillet and the placed it upside down in an oven at 450 degrees. I leave it there for about two hours, turn off the oven and leave it there until the oven cools to room temperature.
Why place it upside down?

S

shaun

I've never thought of seasoning my skillet in the oven. The only problem with that is heating the oven for 2 hours just to season the pan is rather expensive, I think i'd rather do it on the stove. Why do you turn the pan upside down? Just out of interest...

W

Waynefire

If I got a dish like this I would easily take the pan and cook all week as well! I know this is something my wife would like to have, but it can be hard for me to cook on the stove top that my wife and I have.

S

Svoboda

I've never thought of seasoning my skillet in the oven. The only problem with that is heating the oven for 2 hours just to season the pan is rather expensive, I think i'd rather do it on the stove. Why do you turn the pan upside down? Just out of interest...
Yeah, I'm still interested in why it is placed upside down. Most overs are convection heat, so it shouldn't matter which orientation the pan has, no?