Can anyone recommend a good cast iron pan?

E

EmmVida

All right, so I've personally never been into the idea of using cookware that I couldn't actually wash. However, my boyfriend loves the idea of using a cast iron pan, and his birthday is coming up. I've searched around and found a lot of choices, and I'm not sure what to go for. One, I'm not sure what brand to buy if I buy one brand new. On the other hand, I read somewhere that it isn't necessarily a bad idea to buy an old one as it comes "pre-seasoned." Any words of wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

G

grillqueen79

I like the Lodge brand myself. If you have a store like Ross or TJ Max around you sometimes you can get really good deals on them. They also sell the Lodge brand at Walmart now, at least at the one here. :)

L

leyash

I love Pampered Chef. I'm not sure if they have any cast iron skillets, but I do know that they have some of the best stoneware ever.

K

khartig

I've got a 12" Lodge that I use now. When I went to visit my Grandmother she told me when she passes I get he 14" Lodge that is over 100 years old and weighs as much as a tank. I'm not in any hurry for that one though.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
For brand new, Lodge is it. A 12 inch is a good starter, can be used for lots of different things. I would recommend that as a first one. Once you get used to it, and if you like using it, then you can try used from yard sales and such.

F

FlanneryCam

Can anyone recommend a cast iron pan that is made in North America? I have found some in TJ Maxx, but they were cheap but made in China. I would prefer a local product.

I guess I need to start looking at yard sales too. Cast iron pans last forever, right?

K

khartig

I believe that Lodge Cast Iron are the only ones still made here. The old school cast iron pans are still made in Tenn. Their enameled pans are imported though.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
Can anyone recommend a cast iron pan that is made in North America? I have found some in TJ Maxx, but they were cheap but made in China. I would prefer a local product.

I guess I need to start looking at yard sales too. Cast iron pans last forever, right?

Khartig is correct. Lodge is made in Tennessee still. They will last for several generations if taken care of.