Rubs Brisket Rub Gift Jars

B

BarbiQ

I made some gift jars of brisket rub for a few friends and family that kept telling me how much they liked our brisket. I mixed up a large batch and put it into some Bell jars with a little label on the jar. They loved them! I am going to make some more for the holidays this year.

4 cups of coarse salt
2 cup paprika
1 cup coarse ground pepper
1 cup cayenne (you can cut back on this a little depending on the person's taste)
1 cup garlic powder
1 cup onion powder
1 cup regular sugar
1 packed cup of brown sugar

Mix it all together in a large bowl and put into jars.

Works best if rubbed onto the meat the night before cooking.

B

Briquet

Thanks for the rub recipe! It does look pretty good and I bet with all that cayenne it's a bit spicy too. It's nice to be able to give homemade gifts too. How many jars did that recipe yield? What size were the jars?

B

BarbiQ

It's not as spicy as you would think because the granulated and brown sugars temper the heat quite a bit. The original recipe I was using had a cup of fine ground pepper too, but I omitted it.

I used some of the 16 ounce Ball jars which will hold about 2 cups of the rub and I used some of the smaller jelly sized jars which held a little more than a cup, which is enough to do a brisket. I also reused a couple jars of varying size. I can't give you exact numbers because I really don't measure. I just pour it in. :D

The recipe above contains 12 cups of spice. You'll get about 6 of the 16 ounce jars. You don't want it packed in the jars. It should be loose. Shake it up so the brown sugar doesn't get lumpy.

You can cut the recipe in half, or double, triple, and quadruple the recipe and make as much or as little as you need.

B

ber4

Awesome! I love getting gifts like this. I am going to try this rub recipe. Do you have to use it on just brisquet? I bet it would taste good on steaks or burgers too.

B

BarbiQ

You can put it on anything you want. I have used it on chicken and steak with really tasty results. If you are going to use it with burgers, I would just mix some in with the ground meat as I form the patties. I haven't tried that yet.

T

TopChef

What a great gift idea! There are several people in my life who would love a thoughtful, homemade gift like this. The best part is that most of those ingredients are inexpensive, even at those quantities. I think if I do this I will shop for cute jars at Goodwill so everyone gets a unique version of the gift.

B

BarbiQ

TopChef - That is a great idea about finding interesting jars and making them different. Sounds cute! Just make sure the jars have a tight seal so the brown sugar doesn't turn into a hard lump. That has happened to me before. :eek: